SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 13, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- Travel Ticker®, a leading inspirational travel website, today announced the results of its annual Travel Ticker Traveler Intentions Survey. The poll revealed the opinions of nearly 2,000 U.S. consumers on their leisure travel intentions for the next year. The results indicated that as compared to 2010, 87 percent of respondents intend to take the same or more leisure vacations in 2011. In addition, when asked if they would fit more travel into 2011 if good deals were available, 94 percent of respondents answered yes.
"It's great to see that, after quite a bumpy year, consumers feel ready to start taking their long awaited dream vacations, especially if presented with inspiring travel deals," said Barbara Messing, General Manager of Travel Ticker. "And we'll keep trying to find even more of what travelers are looking for in 2011 – handpicked, affordable deals to some of the world's most highly coveted destinations."
For the second year in a row, 18 to 30-year-olds spearhead the move to take more leisure trips in 2011:
- Out of all respondents, 48 percent of 18 to 30-year-olds said they plan on taking more leisure trips in 2011 than the previous year. This represents a five percent increase from last year's poll.
- Following closely behind 18 to 30-year-olds are 65+ year-olds. 42 percent of respondents age 65 and older plan on taking more leisure trips in 2011, compared to 38 percent in last year's poll; an increase of four percent.
- Of all respondents, only six percent said they plan on traveling less in 2011. 48 percent of these respondents cited their economic situation as a hindrance.
Better economic situation and more free time listed as top reasons for more leisure trips in 2011:
- 30 percent of all respondents said that they believe that their current economic situation will improve in the new year, resulting in the benefit of being able to travel more in 2011. This number is up ten percent from last year's survey. In addition, 31 percent of respondents said that they planned on traveling more in the new year due to an increase in free time.
Given a good deal, almost all would fit in more leisure travel:
- 94 percent of all respondents agreed that if they found a good deal, they would find a way to fit in more leisure travel in 2011. While many consumers believe that they will be more financially stable in 2011, they are still on the lookout for heavy discounts, travel perks and incentives to inspire their travel. In fact, 66 percent of those polled went so far as to say that they would be comfortable being spontaneous when it came to travel, letting the deal be their inspiration for planning upcoming trips.
The Travel Ticker Traveler Intentions Survey was conducted from November 17 until December 1, 2010, online among Travel Ticker users, with 1,779 completed responses. More information on the survey is available upon request.
*Prices per night and based on availability at time of booking. Other restrictions may apply. Please see site for more details.
Travel Ticker is an online inspirational travel website that is home to some of the best insider deals at many of the world's favorite destinations. With an ear to the ground and an eye for the unique, Travel Ticker's experts provide users with a platform to browse for researched travel bargains, the latest travel trends, and editorial insight. Established in 2006 as a travel newsletter and in 2008 as a standalone website, Travel Ticker boasts more than 11.5 million subscribers. Travel Ticker is an independent business unit of The Hotwire Group. For more information, visit us at http://www.travel-ticker.com/ and follow us on Twitter (@travel_ticker).
Travel Ticker and the Travel Ticker logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Hotwire, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other logos or product and company names mentioned herein may be the property of their respective owners. © 2010 Hotwire, Inc. All rights reserved. CST# 2053390-40