GURUGRAM, India, Sept. 4, 2019 /PRNewswire/ --
- Expected increase in the demand for generic medicines is further expected to give a boost to the Philippines pharmacy retail market revenues. The segment is expected to grow at CAGR of 6.4% during the forecast period 2019-2023.
- Pharmacy chains within the Philippines are further anticipated to increase their market penetration in the semi-urban and rural areas of the country therefore, leading to higher store openings in the near future.
- The Philippines was evaluated as the 11th most attractive market for the pharmaceutical companies and the 3rd most attractive market among the ASEAN countries as of 2018. This is majorly due to the various factors such as the growing population, high rate of medical tourism and other similar factors.
Growth of Organized Pharmacy: The pharmacy retail chains are growing aggressively in the Philippines. In order for a speedy growth, the pharmacy chains are acquiring the unorganized standalone stores as it helps them to save the costs and operations to open a pharmacy store and building it up from scratch. The stores of the organized chains such as Metro Drugstore, SouthStar Drug and TGP has been concentrated in the Manila, Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao region of the Philippines. As the market is becoming concentrated day by day, the companies are focusing on opening the stores in different provinces and less developed regions of the country such as rural and semi-urban areas.
Growth of Non Communicable Diseases: As per a survey in the Philippines, more than half of the population above the age of 20 drinks regularly and more than one third of the population aged 15 years - smokes. As a result, one in every five person is suffering from high blood pressure therefore, it is expected that there will be growth in the non communicable diseases segment in the Philippines. As, Philippines have some of the highest medicine costs in the ASEAN countries, the consumers are purchasing more of the generic medicines than the branded products. It is estimated that the generic medicines segment will be approximately 65% of the total medicine retail in the Philippines by the year ending 2023.
Government Initiative to Improve the Medicine Distribution System: Botika Ng Bayan an initiative taken up to increasing the government medical dispensaries has been revived by the government of the Philippines. The aim of government is to expand it to each Barangay (village) in the Philippines. This will help in improving the medical distribution system within the Philippines and will provide Filipinos with affordable healthcare and medicines in future. The last count of Botka Ng Bayan pharmacy stores was evaluated 2,266 in the year 2011.
Analysts at Ken Research in their latest publication "Philippines Pharmacy Retail Market Outlook 2023 - By Organized and Unorganized Segment, By Standalone and Hospital Based Pharmacies, By Region, By Generic and Patented Drug, By Prescribed Medicines, OTC Products, Non Pharmaceutical Products and Medical Equipments, by Therapeutic Class (Anti-Infective, Cardiovascular, Gastro Intestinal, Anti Diabetic, Vitamins, Minerals and Nutrients, Respiratory, Pain Analgesics, Dermatology, Neuro, Gynaecological and Others)" suggests that by de-cluttering of stores, rising mergers and acquisitions, adopting centralized monitoring system, development of new retail channels and increasing traction of mail order based pharmacies in the country will give a boost to pharmacy retail market revenues in the Philippines in the near future thereby, registering a CAGR of 4.2% in terms of revenue and 2.0% in terms of total number of pharmacies during the forecast period 2019-2023. The market is further expected to be driven by increase in demand of the prescribed medicines and generic drugs in the country.
Key Segments Covered
- Market Structure
- Organized Market
- Unorganized Market
- Type of Store Location
- Standalone Pharmacy
- Hospital Based Pharmacy
- Type of Sales
- Prescribed Medicines
- OTC Products
- Non Pharmaceutical Products
- Medical Equipment
- By Type of Drug
- By Therapeutic Class
- Gastro Intestinal
- Anti Diabetic
Key Target Audience
- Existing Pharmaceutical Retailers in the Philippines
- Existing Pharmaceutical Distributors in the Philippines
- Existing Pharmaceutical Wholesalers in the Philippines
- Existing Pharmaceutical Manufacturers in the Philippines
- Existing Pharmaceutical Importer in the Philippines
- New Market Entrants- Domestic Retailer
- New Market Entrants- Domestic Distributor
- New Market Entrants- Domestic Wholesaler
- New Market Entrants- Domestic Manufacturer
- New Market Entrants- Foreign Retailer
- New Market Entrants- Foreign Distributor
- New Market Entrants- Foreign Wholesaler
- New Market Entrants- Foreign Manufacturer
- Market Associations
- Investors & Venture Capital Firms
- Real Estate Companies
- Government Bodies
Time Period Captured in the Report:
- Historical Period: 2013-2018
- Forecast Period: 2019-2023
- Mercury Drug Corporation
- Watsons Personal Care Stores
- SouthStar Drug Inc.
- Rose Pharmacy
- The Generics Pharmacy
Key Topics Covered in the Reports
- Philippines Pharmacy Retail Market Introduction, Overview and Genesis
- Value Chain of Philippines Pharmacy Retail Market
- Philippines Pharmacy Retail Market Size, 2013-2018
- Philippines Pharmacy Retail Market Segmentation, 2013-2018
- Business Model for a Retail Pharmacy Store in the Philippines
- Pre-Requisites for the Philippines Pharmacy Retail Market
- Regulatory Framework in the Philippines Pharmacy Retail Market
- Growth Drivers in the Philippines Pharmacy Retail Market
- Trends in the Philippines Pharmacy Retail Market
- Issues and Challenges in the Philippines Pharmacy Retail Market
- Import Scenario in the Philippines Pharmacy Retail Market
- SWOT Analysis of the Philippines Pharmacy Retail Market
- Cross Comparison of International Pharmacy Stores with the Philippines Organized Pharmacy Retail Market
- Porter Five Forces Analysis for the Philippines Pharmacy Retail Market
- Comparative Landscape in the Philippines Pharmacy Retail Market
- Snapshot of Major Players Using Omni Channel Model in the Philippines Pharmacy Retail Market
- Snapshot of Emerging Hybrid Model in the Philippines Pharmacy Retail Market
- Philippines Pharmacy Retail Market Future Outlook and Projections, 2019-2023
- Analyst Recommendations for the Philippines Pharmacy Retail Market
For more information on the research report, please refer to the below link:
Other Related Reports
Germany Retail Pharmacy Market Outlook to 2023 - By Type of Pharmaceuticals (Prescription Only, Pharmacy-Only, Supplementary Products and Unrestricted OTC pharmaceuticals); By Number of Main and Franchise Pharmacies; and By Federal States; By Online Sales
The report provides a comprehensive analysis on the retail pharmacy industry within Germany. The report covers various aspects including introduction, value chain, market size by revenue and volume, overall retail pharmacy market segmentation by type of pharmaceuticals, by total number of main/individual and branch pharmacies and by federal states; snapshot on SHI (Statutory Health Insurance), comparative landscape, growth drivers, trends and developments, issues and challenges in the retail pharmacy and the regulatory framework of the industry. The report concludes with market projections and analyst recommendations highlighting the major opportunities and cautions for the Germany retail pharmacy market.
Kuwait Retail Pharmacy Market Outlook to 2022 - By Type of Pharmacy (Pharmacy Chains, Independent Pharmacies and Hospital/Clinic Based Pharmacies); By Type of Drugs (Cosmetics, Food Supplements and Drugs), By Type of Sales Channels (Offline and Online)
The report provides a comprehensive analysis on the Retail Pharmacy industry of Kuwait. The report covers various aspects including introduction, value chain, market size by revenue (2012-2017), segmentation by type of pharmacy, by type of drugs, by revenue split and by type of sales channel, competition scenario in the industry, shares and company profiles of major players in the market, growth drivers, trends and developments, issues and challenges in the retail pharmacy market and the regulatory framework of the industry. The report concludes with market projection for future market described above and analyst recommendations highlighting the major opportunities and cautions for the Kuwait Retail Pharmacy market
India Online and Offline Pharmacy Retail Market Outlook to 2025 - By Organized and Unorganized; By Standalone and Hospital based Pharmacy; By Product Category (Prescribed Drugs, OTC Drugs and Non-Pharmaceutical Goods) and Therapeutic Class
The report provides a comprehensive analysis on the Pharmacy retail market of India. The report covers various aspects including introduction, market segmentations, trends and developments, issues and challenges, SWOT analysis, competitive landscape and government regulations, snapshot on India online pharmacy retail market. The report concludes with market projection and analyst recommendations highlighting the major opportunities and cautions.
India pharmacy retail market is at a mature stage. India pharmacy retail industry revenue has grown at a positive CAGR during the period FY'2013-FY'2019. This growth was supported by rise in number of chronic diseases, low prices of generic drugs, rise in number of hospital based pharmacies, growth in OTC segment, urbanization and growth of middle class population. The customers in the market are highly price sensitive and rising operating cost, lack of stringent regulations, low per capita healthcare expenditure, and lack of infrastructure has resulted in low penetration of pharmacy retail in India. The online pharmacy retail market is still in the nascent stage in the country and its popularity is increasing as it has increased the ease of accessibility to drugs for the customers. These companies majorly operate in Tier 1 and 2 cities. They operate on either marketplace model or inventory based model.
The report provides information on market size for Indonesia Healthcare and pharmacy retail. The report covers pharmacy retail market segment (by pharmacies & drugstores and by region), value chain, trends, growth drivers, and competitive landscape of major pharmacy retail companies including Guardian Pharmacy, Kimia Farma, Apotek K-24, A S Watsons Group, and Century Healthcare. The report concludes with market projection for future and analyst recommendations highlighting the major opportunities and cautions.
Ankur Gupta, Head Marketing
Ken Research Private Limited
SOURCE Ken Research