HERSHEY, Pa., May 19, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- As families gear up for their summer vacation, Twizzlers® Candy is giving 10 bloggers the ultimate family road trip experience. The bloggers, dubbed the Twizzlers Traveling Families, will each embark on a road trip adventure beginning this week through the week of August 21, 2011 to celebrate the Twizzlers Landmark Summer™ promotion. A Twizzlers-inspired vehicle will be shared between the families, making its way coast to coast, covering more than 10,000 miles and dozens of U.S. landmarks. As part of the promotion, Twizzlers will also give consumers the chance to win a trip to a well-known U.S. landmark destination plus daily, road trip-themed prizes throughout the summer, just by visiting www.twizzlers.com. Travel expert Emily Kaufman, "The Travel Mom," will support the Twizzlers Traveling Families by offering tips to sweeten their road trip experience.
Twizzlers fans can visit the Twizzlers website to track the Twizzlers Traveling Families' road trips, find out more about their landmark destinations and view images and video that will be uploaded from the road along the way. Better yet, families can plan their own Twizzlers-inspired road trip with help from "The Travel Mom."
According to Kaufman, families are starting to think past the backyard "staycation" and are rediscovering the freedom of the open road. While gas prices may be influx across the country, Kaufman says there are a number of road trip options worth exploring.
"Back are the days when a family vacation means piling into the car and stopping along the way to take pictures next to one of the country's most popular landmarks," said Kaufman. "From packing perfect road trip snacks such as Twizzlers Candy to planning activities to keep the kids happy in the car, road trips are about having fun and making memories that last a lifetime."
Kaufman shares the following tips for a fun and safe family road trip:
- Plan ahead. Create a packing list two weeks before the scheduled vacation, followed by a trip to the store to purchase needed items. Then, begin packing two or three days before leaving. Finally, pack the car the night before taking off. Spacing out preparation will let you get right to enjoying time with your family.
- Be realistic. No matter how old your kids are (or even the adults) leaving before dawn isn't a good idea. Drivers need plenty of rest before getting behind the wheel. Consider departing after breakfast once rush hour traffic has eased.
- Create a boredom bag. Convert a hanging travel cosmetic case into a case full of fun and hang it from the seat back in front of the kids' seats. Fill each pocket with age-appropriate activities that will keep them occupied and organized. Consider creating fun works of art with Twizzlers Pull 'n' Peel® Candy before snacking on them!
- Think of creative solutions to best use the space you have. For example, try packing a cookie sheet – it will make a great table for snacks or a desktop for writing or coloring. They're durable and easy to store in the car.
- Take your trip "online." From GPS systems to phone applications, trips are no longer a navigation nightmare. Also, there are a wide variety of portable DVD players, gaming systems and phone games to keep the kids happy. Make sure to download movies and games that everyone will enjoy.
- Think through the snacks you pack. Avoid packing snacks that are easy to spill like juice boxes or snacks that melt. Try plastic bottles with sports tops or lids that can be tightly sealed for drinks. Also, bring along Twizzlers Twists or Twizzlers Nibs® Candy – they are easy to share, making them the perfect car ride treat.
- Pack a first aid kit. Include basics like band aids, pain relievers, wet wipes and anti-bacterial ointment, "just in case." It should be small enough to tuck right under one of the seats and will be there when you need it.
The Twizzlers Landmark Summer promotion is giving families across the country a chance to win a road trip to a U.S. landmark destination of their choice with four grand-prize winners being selected. Consumers can also enter to win one of more than 650 daily prizes now through September 4, 2011, including road trip staples such as Twizzlers Candy-branded GPS units, digital cameras and national park guidebooks. To enter, consumers can visit www.twizzlers.com. Consumers can also visit the Twizzlers Facebook page to share their own stories, create fun photos and map a unique trip to take.
Twizzlers Candy is the perfect summertime treat. They never melt, are easy to transport and popular with the whole family, regardless of age. Twizzlers products are available in a variety of delicious options – from Twizzlers Twists and Twizzlers Pull 'n' Peel Candy to Twizzlers Sweet and Sour Filled Twists and Twizzlers® Bites Candy. The low-fat, sweet snack comes in flavors including Chocolate, Cherry, Rainbow, Black Licorice, Citrus Punch, Cherry Kick, Sweet & Sour and Watermelon. This amusing treat is an entertaining, great choice to feed a hungry family in the car during warmer weather.
For more information and to enter the Twizzlers Landmark Summer promotion, visit www.twizzlers.com.
About The Hershey Company
The Hershey Company (NYSE: HSY) is the largest producer of quality chocolate in North America and a global leader in chocolate and sugar confectionery. Headquartered in Hershey, Pa., The Hershey Company has operations throughout the world and more than 13,000 employees. With revenues of more than $5 billion, Hershey offers a wide range of confectionery products, including such iconic brands as Hershey's, Reese's, Kisses, Hershey's Bliss, Special Dark, Hershey's Syrup, Kit Kat, Twizzlers, Ice Breakers, PayDay and Jolly Rancher. Hershey also is a leader in the premium and artisan chocolate segments, with such brands as Scharffen Berger and Dagoba, offered through the Artisan Confections Company, a wholly owned subsidiary. The company is focused on growing its presence in key international markets in Asia and Latin America while continuing to build its position in the United States.
Corporate Social Responsibility is an integral part of the company's global business strategy, including goals and priorities focused on fair and ethical business dealings, environmental stewardship, fostering a desirable workplace for employees, and positively impacting society and local communities. Milton Hershey School, established in 1909 by the company's founder and administered by the Hershey Trust Company, provides quality education, housing, and medical care at no cost to children in social and financial need. Students of Milton Hershey School are direct beneficiaries of The Hershey Company's success. Visit us at www.hersheys.com.