ST. PAUL, Minn., Dec. 12, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- To celebrate the season, Explore Minnesota, the state's tourism promotion office, is highlighting things to do across the state this winter. Minnesota is a haven for outdoor activities, arts, entertainment, seasonal festivals and more. Visitors can embrace winter with these unique activities found #OnlyinMN.
- Take a SnowfariMinnesota is home to thousands of trails for cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling and winter biking. In fact, Minnesota's cross-country ski trails offer more miles of skiing than a trek from St. Paul to Los Angeles. Minnesota trails provide stellar views of our state's wilderness, lakes and rivers. Visitors can plan a Minnesota snowfari with weekly winter trail reports.
- Attend a Winter Festival From a holiday light display on the shores of Lake Superior to the Great Northern Festival (Saint Paul Winter Carnival, U.S. Pond Hockey Championships and City of Lakes Loppet Ski Festival in Minneapolis), or ice fishing festivals that reel in thousands of attendees, visitors will find many ways to weather winter with weekly event updates at exploreminnesota.com/events.
- Try a Unique Winter ActivityWinter-hardy folks who live in and venture to Minnesota stay active and embrace the season. With endless outdoor activities, including ice fishing, world-class dogsledding, snowshoeing, skiing, kiteboarding, curling, winter biking and more, travelers have no excuse not to try a new Minnesota winter activity.
- Beyond the Big Game in the Bold NorthAll eyes will be on Minnesota when the 2018 Super Bowl takes the field at U.S. Bank Stadium on Feb. 4. The game itself is only part of the fun, with events throughout the Minneapolis-St. Paul area and beyond inviting everyone to experience the "Bold North." Learn more about the big game here.
- Catch a Show or Shop 'Til You Drop Minnesota is a mecca for tax-free shopping, museums, music, arts and renowned theater. With 400+ stages, Minnesota's theater scene is one of the most vibrant in the Midwest. Learn more at exploremntheater.com.
- Sip, Sample, Stay Cozy Warm up this winter by raising a glass of Minnesota's craft beverages. It's the perfect time to sip, sample and stay cozy at breweries, wineries, cideries and distilleries across the state. This interactive Land of 10,000 Drinks map helps travelers discover hundreds of craft beverage venues.
- Hit the Slopes Minnesota offers some of the highest hills in the Midwest. Explore Minnesota and the Minnesota Ski Areas Association offer reports on weekly ski conditions and more. Travelers can learn more and also enter the Minnesota Slopes Sweepstakes starting Dec. 18 to win prizes at exploreminnesota.com/slopes.
- Get Your Hygge On at Minnesota Resorts Over 350 resorts are open in winter, and nearly a third of Minnesota's winter lodging properties provide access to cross-country ski and snowmobile trails. Elegant lodges offer amenities like winter equipment rentals, spas, saunas, fireplaces and restaurants. For the ultimate hygge retreat, try a remote cabin on the lake or a romantic bed-and-breakfast.
- Gaze at Starry Skies and Northern Lights in the North Star StateMinnesota is one of the best destinations in the United States to see celestial wonders; there's no need to travel as far as Scandinavia or Canada to marvel at the starry skies above. Planning a trip around the northern lights is easier said than done, but Explore Minnesota offers some tips to see Minnesota's night skies.
- Share Seasonal Sights on Social Media Using #OnlyinMNResearch shows people seek travel ideas via social media. Visitors are encouraged to tag photos and get travel inspiration this season using statewide travel hashtag #OnlyinMN. The popular hashtag has generated nearly 700,000 uses to date.
"Minnesota is a premier winter vacation destination," said John Edman, director/CEO of Explore Minnesota. "From winter trails, events, arts and Super Bowl 52 festivities, there are thousands of ways to explore the state and discover the many unique things to see and do #OnlyinMN."
Explore Minnesota can help plan trips at 888-VISITMN or via live chat and email at exploreminnesota.com.
SOURCE Explore Minnesota Tourism