MILWAUKEE, June 23 /PRNewswire/ -- Got a hundred bucks and a free weekend? Then you've got what it takes to invest in some yard care improvements.
"Some of the best upgrades to your yard can be done with a few dollars and a few hours," says Trey Rogers, Ph.D., the Briggs & Stratton Yard Doctor. "When budgets are tight, get creative and do it yourself."
For those who'd like one-on-one advice from Rogers, enter the Yard Smarts Boot Camp. Attendees will learn how to easily take care of their yard, tour amazing green spaces and win a new lawn mower and more. Visit www.yardsmarts.com to enter.
What can you do for $100 right now?
- Mow the right way. Don't scalp your lawn. Instead, let it grow a little longer, which is healthy for the lawn. When you mow, cut only one-third the length of the grass blade. Cost: About $3.00 for a month of mowing.
- Apply bark mulch. Few things dress up a yard more than mulch around flowerbeds and trees. Cost: About $3.00 per bag.
- Fertilize naturally. When you mow, leave a light layer of grass clippings on the lawn as a natural fertilizer. Cost: $0.
- Maintain your Mower. Once a year, change the oil, replace the spark plug and change the filter. Tune-up kits are available and make it easy. Cost: $10-14 for a walk-behind mower.
- Let nature water your lawn. If water is costly where you live, let nature handle irrigation. If too little rain falls, your lawn may go dormant, but unless you are in a drought situation, it will green up again when the rain falls. Cost: $0.
With the rest of your $100 bill, splurge on some annual flowers to dress up your front doorway, patio or deck.
Visit www.yarddoctor.com for more lawn care tips.
Briggs & Stratton Corporation, headquartered in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, is the world's largest producer of gasoline engines for outdoor power equipment. Its wholly owned subsidiary Briggs & Stratton Power Products Group LLC is North America's number one manufacturer of portable generators and pressure washers, and is a leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of lawn and garden and turf care through its Simplicity®, Snapper®, Ferris® and Murray® brands. Briggs & Stratton products are designed, manufactured, marketed and serviced in over 100 countries on six continents.
SOURCE Briggs & Stratton Corporation