NEW YORK, Feb. 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The hottest trends in toys, games and youth entertainment products will make their debut in front of 31,000 pre-registered global play professionals when the Toy Industry Association's (TIA) 110th American International Toy Fair opens its doors on Sunday, February 10th at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in New York City.
"Toy Fair '13 is bigger and better than ever – encompassing a record-breaking 375,000 net square feet of exhibit space!" said Marian Bossard, vice president of meetings and events at TIA. "While the show is first and foremost business-oriented, it is also a world-class forum for the most up-to-date ideas, research and resources related to children and play."
The fun-filled week will kick off on Saturday evening, February 9th, with the 13th Annual Toy of the Year Awards and Hall of Fame induction ceremony. On Sunday morning, February 10th, Toy Fair will open with a ribbon-cutting ceremony that will include an exciting performance by the star from the hit Broadway musical, Annie.
Expanding on its usual educational offerings, this year's Toy Fair "playground" will provide attendees with one-of-a-kind opportunities to learn from the most respected leaders in the toy industry. TIA's brand new Content Connection seminars for licensors and brand owners will take place during the first two days of the show, while the Digital Kids Conference will take place on the last two days of Toy Fair, providing attendees with critical information about engaging children online and through digital devices.
Exclusively for media, a "Toy Trends Tea" will be held on Monday, February 11th – experts from TIA will unveil the latest developments in toys using examples from the show floor.
For detailed information about the educational programming, after-hours networking activities, and special events taking place throughout the week, consult the attached schedule below. For specific details about speakers, event locations and registration, visit the Education section at ToyFairNY.com.
Registration is mandatory for access to Toy Fair 2013; verification of media credentials is required. Sign up online at www.ToyFairNY.com or on-site during show hours. Those who can't make it to the show can follow Toy Fair on Twitter (#TF13 and #TFNY) and visit the Toy Fair Online Press Room, TIA's Facebook page and PlayHappens.org for show information.
About the American International Toy Fair (www.ToyFairNY.com)
Toy Fair is an annual event that is owned and operated by the Toy Industry Association (TIA). The largest toy trade show in the Western Hemisphere, the show brings together more than 1,000 exhibiting manufacturers, distributors, importers and sales agents to showcase an estimated 150,000 toy and entertainment products to 7,000+ unique retail outlets from 100 countries.
About the Toy Industry Association (TIA) (www.ToyAssociation.org)
TIA is the not-for-profit trade association representing all businesses involved in creating and bringing toys and youth entertainment products to kids of all ages, representing more than 600 companies who account for approximately 85% of domestic toy sales. Toy safety is the number one priority for the toy industry. TIA has a long history of leadership in toy safety and works with government, consumers and industry on ongoing programs to ensure safe and fun play.
Toy Fair 2013 Educational Sessions
- TIA's Content Connection (Feb. 10 & 11)
Geared toward the growing numbers of licensors and entertainment execs at Toy Fair, these sessions will tackle opportunities for traditional and e-enhanced toy manufacturers and designers and uncover new research about the preschool market; trends in global youth markets; and more.
- Digital Kids Safety Summit (Feb. 11)
Jointly produced by the kidSAFE® Seal Program and Engage Digital, the half-day Safety Summit will provide participants with a detailed understanding of safety and privacy issues for operators of kid-directed virtual worlds, social networks, online games, mobile apps and tablet services.
- Department of Commerce (DOC) Guide to Exporting: North & South of the Border(Feb. 11)
Led by a representative from the U.S. Department of Commerce International Trade Administration, this free seminar will provide toy companies with key guidance on how to expand their businesses further into the global marketplace.
- Exploring the Domestic Chinese Market(Feb. 11)
The manager of a company that distributes and markets a portfolio of international toy brands in China will share insight about navigating the growing Chinese market.
- Toy Safety Keynote and TIA Toy Safety Compliance Update (Feb. 12)
Following a keynote address by CPSC Chair Inez Tenenbaum, TIA's annual safety update will highlight important changes in global, U.S. federal and state-specific toy safety requirements. Speakers include representatives of Health Canada and the European Commission.
- Creative Factorand Independent ThinkingSessions (Feb. 10-13)
These free presentations are targeted to Toy Fair's creative community and independent / specialty retailers. Each hour-long session will tackle a different topic – from customer service and staffing to marketing on a budget.
- 7th annual Digital Kids Conference (Feb. 12 & 13)
This two-day conference will bring youth-focused digital media executives, brand owners, and licensors together to learn critical information about engaging children online and through digital devices, the business side of digital games, marketing strategies, and innovation in the toy industry.
Toy Fair 2013 After-hours Events and Special Activities
- TIA's 13th annual TOTY (Toy of the Year) Awards will be held on Saturday, February 9th at the iconic Plaza Hotel, honoring the best in toys and children's entertainment and celebrating the induction of Judith (Judy) Ellis, Chair of the Toy Design Department at the Fashion Institute of Technology, and the late Russell (Russ) Berrie, Founder of Russ Berrie Inc. into the Toy Industry Hall of Fame. This event supports the Toy Industry Foundation.
- The Toy Fair Opening Ceremony will take place at 10 a.m. on Sunday, February 10. A special guest star from the hit Broadway musical, Annie, will perform at the ribbon-cutting.
- The International Visitors' Welcome Reception at 6 p.m. on Sunday, February 10 will welcome international buyers, press and exhibitors.
- Toy Industry Next Generation (TING) Launch Party will take place on Monday, February 11 at 6 p.m. at the Parlour (247 W. 30th Street between 7th and 8th Avenue). TING is a new TIA-endorsed networking and service organization for young toy industry professionals.
- The Toy Industry Foundation will hold its Toy Bank collection at 4 p.m. on Wednesday, February 13, collecting approximately 35,000 toys and games for children in need.
SOURCE Toy Industry Association