SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 15, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- As families from Baton Rouge to Burbank finalize their holiday plans, VolunteerMatch reminds Americans that making a difference is a great way to have a meaningful Christmas.
With 75,000 participating charities, VolunteerMatch is the most popular place to get involved. Just visit www.volunteermatch.org, type in your location and describe the kind of work you want to do. If you're organizing an outing for family or friends, be sure to use VolunteerMatch's 'Advanced Search' to find opportunities best suited for groups or children.
To inspire you and illustrate the variety of volunteer needs, here's a tongue-in-cheek take on one favorite holiday song:
- 12 Drummers Drumming -- The Circle's Edge, Inc in Riverdale, MD needs rock/metal drummers to record a CD and perform locally.
- 11 Pipers Piping -- Albuquerque & Four Corners Pipes and Drums in Los Alamos, NM needs new members to join its bagpipe band.
- 10 Lords a Leaping -- Stafford County Parks, Recreation, and Community Services in Falmouth, VA needs help with the Leprechaun Leap One Mile Youth Trail Run.
- 9 Ladies Dancing -- Galaxy Dance Studios in Austin, TX is looking for an Assistant Volunteer Coordinator for its day-to-day operations.
- 8 Maids a Milking -- The Norfolk Jaycees in Norfolk, VA need people to take part in "operation maid raid" -- collect single-use toiletries from hotels to give to homeless shelters.
- 7 Swans a Swimming -- The Multiple Sclerosis Association of America in Cherry Hill, NJ is looking for people to "Swim for MS".
- 6 Geese a Laying -- Carolina Waterfowl Rescue at Indian Trail, NC is looking for volunteers to assist with geese, duck and chicken adoption.
- 5 Golden Rings -- The St. Aloisius Pot of Gold Day Care in Harvey, ND are looking for volunteers to work with children one to one.
- 4 Calling Birds -- The Birds of Prey Foundation in Louisville, CO is looking for volunteers to work in its thrift store organizing donations, staging the store and working with shoppers.
- 3 French Hens -- Visiting Nurse Service of New York/Queens needs French Creole translators to assist with translating for the elderly.
- 2 Turtle Doves -- Turtle Rock Nature Center in Irvine, CA is looking for volunteers to maintain the nature trail.
And a Partridge in a Pear Tree -- Long Branch Environmental Education Center in Leicester, NC is looking for volunteers to grow fruit and learn about organic orcharding and landscaping.
To get involved with these and many other opportunities, visit: http://www.volunteermatch.org.
VolunteerMatch is a national nonprofit dedicated to strengthening communities by helping good people and good causes to connect. Its award-winning online service makes it easy to find a way to make a difference by location, expertise, or availability. VolunteerMatch also provides many of the nation's most recognized businesses, campuses and organizations with Web-based solutions to facilitate and track volunteer engagement at local and national levels.