SACRAMENTO, Calif., Nov. 17, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Thirteen hospitals within Sutter Health's not-for-profit network received a 2014 Top Performers on Key Quality Measures® recognition today from The Joint Commission—the nation's leading accreditor of health care organizations. Sutter Health-affiliated hospitals have earned these quality recognitions each year since the program began in 2011.
The Top Performer program recognizes U.S. hospitals for providing quality health care, specifically for excellence in evidence-based clinical processes shown to improve care for certain medical conditions. The 13 Sutter Health hospitals recognized this year include:
Greater San Francisco Bay Area
- Eden Medical Center – Recognized for heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, surgical care and perinatal care
- Mills-Peninsula Health Services – Recognized for heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, surgical care and perinatal care
- Novato Community Hospital – Recognized for surgical care, venous thromboembolism (VTE) and stroke
- Sutter Delta Medical Center – Recognized for heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, surgical care and perinatal care
- Sutter Lakeside Hospital – Recognized for pneumonia and surgical care
- Sutter Maternity and Surgery Center, Santa Cruz – Recognized for surgical care and perinatal care
- Sutter Santa Rosa Regional Hospital – Recognized for heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, surgical care, stroke and perinatal care
Greater Sacramento and Central Valley Region
- Memorial Hospital Los Banos – Recognized for pneumonia and perinatal care
- Sutter Auburn Faith Hospital – Recognized for pneumonia, surgical care, VTE and stroke
- Sutter Davis Hospital – Recognized for pneumonia, surgical care. VTE and perinatal care
- Sutter Solano Medical Center – Recognized for heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, surgical care, stroke and perinatal care
Crescent City, CA
- Sutter Coast Hospital – Recognized for pneumonia, surgical care, VTE, stroke, immunization and perinatal care
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
- Kahi Mohala Behavioral Health – Recognized for inpatient psychiatric services
Only 31.5 percent of Joint Commission-accredited hospitals and critical access hospitals in the nation earned the distinction of Top Performer for quality performance.
"Rating assessments like The Joint Commission's Top Performer program are crucial to improving quality and lowering the cost of health care nationwide," said Stephen Lockhart, M.D., Ph.D, chief medical officer for Sutter Health. "These recognitions validate the tireless efforts of our doctors, nurses and care teams to reduce rates of infection, lower overall costs of care and keep more people well and out of the hospital."
The Joint Commission honored 13 Sutter hospitals in 2014, 10 in 2013, seven in 2012 and six hospitals in 2011.
About the Recognitions
The Joint Commission Top Performer winners must meet three performance criteria based on 2014 accountability measure data, including:
- Achieving cumulative performance of 95 percent or above across all reported accountability measures;
- Achieving performance of 95 percent on each and every reported accountability measure with at least 30 denominator cases; and
- Having at least one core measure with a composite rate of 95 percent or above, and (within that measure set) all applicable individual accountability measures with a performance rate of 95 percent or above.
The Top Performer recognition occurs in the fall of each year and coincides with the Joint Commission's "America's Hospitals: Improving Quality and Safety" annual report.
Learn more about the Top Performer Program from The Joint Commission.
About Sutter Health
Serving patients and their families in more than 100 Northern California cities and towns, Sutter Health doctors, not-for-profit hospitals and other healthcare service providers share resources and expertise to advance healthcare quality and access. The Sutter Medical Network includes many of California's top-performing, highest-quality physician organizations as measured annually by the Integrated Healthcare Association. Sutter-affiliated hospitals are regional leaders in cardiac care, women's and children's services, cancer care, orthopedics and advanced patient-safety technology. For more information about the not-for-profit Sutter Health network visit: sutterhealth.org | facebook.com/sutterhealth | youtube.com/sutterhealth | twitter.com/sutterhealth
SOURCE Sutter Health