BERLIN, April 19, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- UBM TechWeb Game Network, organizers of the Game Developers Conference Europe™ (GDC Europe), has revealed the line-up for the brand-new Summit advisory boards, as well as an addition to the main GDC Europe board.
The industry luminaries joining the advisory boards represent companies including Playfish, Sony Computer Entertainment, THQ, Copenhagen Game Collective, DDM and more, and will be responsible for helping craft the content of the event, which now includes four Summits and five Main Conference Tracks.
For the first year, the 2011 GDC Europe advisory boards are split into Summit-specific boards and a Main Conference board, with the following announcements made:
- Johan Sjoberg, the Swedish-based lead agent at game representation agency DDM, is joining GDC Europe's main advisory board. Sjoberg works closely with the agency's game developer clients on business development and corporate strategy, and his connections within the European game industry should prove invaluable to the event.
- The inaugural Social Games Summit has announced board members from the forefront of the European social games scene. These include UK-based Playfish/Electronic Arts VP and co-founder Kristian Segerstrale, as well as the Finnish founder of Rocket Pack, Jiri Kupiainen – whose social game company was recently acquired by Disney.
- The first-ever Smartphone & Tablet Summit at GDC Europe has added as a board member Germany-based Fishlabs CEO and co-founder Michael Schade, whose Galaxy On Fire series has found success on multiple mobile platforms. Other confirmed advisors include Secret Exit's Jetro Lauha – the Finnish firm's Zen Bound 2 and Stair Dismount have seen multiple millions of downloads.
- The Independent Games Summit at GDC now includes advisors such as Copenhagen Game Collective co-founder Lau Korsgaard, whose Danish collective is behind innovative indie party game B.U.T.T.O.N., recently showcased at this year's Independent Games Festival at GDC 2011. Also added is Remote Control Productions' Hendrik Lesser, whose firm works with notable European independent creators such as Brightside Games (Zeit2).
- Finally, the Community Management Summit has added to its core co-organizer, German-based Two Pi Team CEO Thomas Lagemann, with the appointment of Linda Carlson, director of global community relations for Sony Computer Entertainment, as well as THQ's director of community management Chris Mancil, a veteran of studios including Trion Worlds and Vivendi Games.
In addition, returning advisors to the GDC Europe main board include Zynga's Bob Bates; pioneering game designer Don Daglow; Remedy Entertainment's Matias Myllyrinne; Avni Yerli of Crytek; Strategic Alternatives' Robert Wallace; Alexander Fernandez of Streamline Studios; International Digital Entertainment Agency's Sean Kauppinen; Harald Riegler of Sproing; and Frank Sliwka, Vice President European Business Development and Event Director GDC Europe.
GDC Europe will take place August 15-17, 2011 at the Congress-Centrum Ost Koelnmessein Cologne, Germany. For more information about GDC Europe, please visit http://www.gdceurope.com.
About the UBM TechWeb Game Network
A core provider of essential information to the professional game industry, the UBM TechWeb Game Network – formerly known as the Think Services Game Group - offers market-defining content, and drives community through its award winning lineup of print, online, event and research products and services. These include the Game Developers Conference®, the Webby Award-winning Gamasutra.com and network of sites, the Game Advertising Online ad network, the Game Developers Conference® Online, the Game Developers Conference Europe™, the Game Developers Conference™ China, the Game Developers Conference™ Canada, Game Developer Magazine, Game Developer Research, the Game Career Seminars and GameCareerGuide.com, the Independent Games Festival and Summit, and the Game Developers Choice Awards.
About UBM TechWeb, a division of United Business Media
UBM TechWeb, the global leader in technology media and professional information, enables people and organizations to harness the transformative power of technology. Through its core businesses – media solutions, marketing services and professional information – UBM TechWeb produces the most respected and consumed brands, applications and services in the technology market. More than 14.5 million business and technology professionals (CIOs, IT and IT Support managers, Web & Digital professionals, Software and Game developers, Government decision makers, and Telecom providers) actively participate in UBM TechWeb's communities. UBM TechWeb brands includes: global face-to-face events such as Interop, Game Developers Conference (GDC), Web 2.0, Black Hat and VoiceCon; large-scale online networks such as InformationWeek, Light Reading and Gamasutra; research, training, and certification services, including HDI, Pyramid Research, and InformationWeek Analytics; and market-leading magazines such as InformationWeek and Wall Street & Technology. UBM TechWeb is part of UBM, a global provider of media and information services for professional B2B communities and markets.
+1 (212) 391-4707
Dieter Marchsreiter, Europe
+49 (89) 519 199 42
GDC EUROPE CONTACT:
Frank Sliwka, VP European Business Development
+49 (0)171 1288898
Ben Veechai, Sandra Lew, North America
+1(415) 947-6280, +1 (415) 947-6232
SOURCE UBM TechWeb Game Network