PHOENIX, Sept. 25, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) Phoenix Chapter awarded 12 Copper Anvils and 21 Awards of Merit during its annual Copper Anvil Awards, a program that recognizes outstanding public relations tactics and campaigns that incorporate effective research, planning, execution and evaluation, reflecting the highest standards of performance in public relations in for-profit and not-for-profit settings. During the event, themed "Stepping Up to Excellence" on Sept. 4, two additional awards of recognition and two student scholarships were presented.
The PRSA Phoenix Chapter awarded Kimber Lanning, founder of Local First Arizona, with the prestigious Phoenix Award, which recognizes a CEO, business leader or community leader who has elevated the best practices of public relations. The Chapter has only bestowed the Phoenix Award 18 times in its history, including last year's winner Derrick Hall of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
The Phoenix Chapter also awarded Alan Bunnell, a corporate communications executive with Pinnacle West Capital Corporation and Arizona Public Service, with the Percy Award. The award honors a professional who has demonstrated excellence in the practice of public relations, is an active supporter of PRSA Phoenix, and had made positive contributions to the Phoenix community. Since 1960, this prestigious award has been awarded to 36 Valley PR practitioners.
Nicole Barrett and Brett Nachman, PRSSA students with the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communications at Arizona State University, each received Phoenix Chapter Student Scholarships in the amount of $1,000.
2014 Copper Anvil Award winners, include:
- Crisis Communications: Off Madison Ave – Arizona Highways Magazine
- Community Relations: Pedene Public Relations and 92.3 KTAR – Phoenix Veterans Day Parade Rises from the Ashes
- Community Relations: Moses Inc. - Papa Murphy's Gives Back
- Internal Communications: BAE Systems - BAE Systems Leadership Communications Bootcamp
- External Communications: Allison+Partners - The Economist: Creating Value in the Land of the Free
- Special Events / Observances (1-7 days): Allison+Partners - Unveiling the All-New, All-American Toyota Tundra
- Special Event / Observances (7+ days): Girl Scouts—Arizona Cactus-Pine Council and HMA Public Relations - First-Ever Girl Scout Cookie Dessert Challenge
- Publications, Newsletter /Magazine, Print: Girl Scouts—Arizona Cactus-Pine Council - Listening Post Magazine Redesign
- Publicity / Promotion, Editorial or Op-Ed: HMA Public Relations - Non-Profit Provides Community Impact Despite Affluent Perception
- Publicity / Promotion: Other: The Caliber Group - The Angelina Jolie Effect & Genetic Testing for Cancer
- Publicity / Promotion, News Release: Moses Inc. – Save the Kolb Studio Press Release
- Special Events: News Conference: Off Madison Ave – Madeleine Albright News Conference
2014 Award of Merit winners:
- Community Relations: City of Tempe - Tempe Public Library - Tempe Public Library: Reconnecting With Community
- Crisis Communications: HMA Public Relations - The Hopi Tribe - Save our Sacred Objects
- Crisis Communications: Gordon C. James Public Relations - Food for the Hungry
- Integrated Communications: Gordon C. James Public Relations - Fix. Adopt. Save.
- Integrated Communications: Off Madison Ave - NASM Brand Awareness Campaign
- Integrated Communications: Moses Inc. – Save the Kolb Studio Campaign
- Integrated Communications: air INTEGRATED and Meritus - Launch of Arizona's Only Health Insurance Co-Op
- Integrated Communications: Town of Gilbert, Arizona - Digital State of the Town - Gilbert, Arizona
- External Communications: Off Madison Ave and the Arizona Office of Tourism - Target Cities Campaign
- Digital / Social Media: Moses Inc. - Mexican Moonshine "Message in the Bottle" Campaign
- Digital / Social Media: Off Madison Ave - CVS iSave Facebook Engagement
- Digital / Social Media: Ideas Collide Marketing Communications - Travel Hero 2.0
- Public Affairs: American Traffic Solutions - Florida Red-Light Safety Camera
- Special Events / Observances (1-7 days): Allison+Partners - Unveiling the All-New Toyota Corolla: Elevated in Every Way
- Special Events / Observances (1-7 days): LaneTerralever - Boots Launch Party
- Special Events / Observances (1-7 days): Weight Watchers of Arizona, Inc. - Weight Watchers® Celebrates Success with "One Amazing Day" Events
- Special Event (7+ days): Arizona Exposition & State Fair - We Care Wednesdays at the Arizona State Fair
- Publicity / Promotions, Editorial / Op-Ed: air INTEGRATED and Meritus - Launch of Arizona's Only Health Insurance Co-Op
- Publicity / Promotion, Feature Story: Off Madison Ave - A Star is Worn
- Publicity / Promotion, Feature Story: HMA Public Relations - The ABCs of BREAST
- Publicity / Promotions, News Release: air INTEGRATED and Meritus - Launch of Arizona's Only Health Insurance Co-Op
The Phoenix Chapter also recognized Off Madison Ave's Arizona Highways Magazine crisis communications entry with the coveted Judges' Award, which is presented to the campaign or tactic that the reciprocating judging chapter felt best defined public relations excellence.
The event was made possible by annual chapter sponsors, APS, Ideas Collide and O'Neil Printing, in addition to event sponsors AAA Arizona, air INTEGRATED, Anamorphics, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona, Gordon C. James Public Relations, Moses Inc., Olson Communications, PR Newswire and R&R Partners.
About PRSA Phoenix
The Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) is the largest and most prominent organization dedicated to the professional development and advocacy of public relations practitioners. Founded in 1961, the Phoenix chapter is one of the largest in the nation, serving more than 300 PR and communications professionals in a variety of industries. PRSA Phoenix offers its members opportunities to advance their careers through events, awards programs, accreditation and a variety of skill-building resources. A 15-member board of directors governs the chapter. For more information on PRSA Phoenix visit www.phoenixprsa.org.
SOURCE PRSA Phoenix