LITITZ, Pa., Dec. 13, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- It's a number that's sure to shock any homeowner: 25,000. That's how many insects could be hitching a ride into homes across America via live Christmas trees.
That figure may seem astounding, but it's something that's entirely possible since these insects could be overwintering in the Christmas tree's protective evergreen vegetation.
WHAT INSECTS LIVE IN CHRISTMAS TREES?
According to Safer® Brand, there are 7 common insects that infest Christmas trees. They are:
- Aphids – Tiny bugs that infest lower tree limbs, often in huge numbers;
- Spiders & Mites – While not actually insects, these hatching arachnids could fall off a tree and scatter through a home;
- Adelgids – White colored and small, adelgids may look like snowflakes on the tree;
- Pine Needle Scale – These insects attach themselves to pine needles and appear to be tiny white specks;
- Sawflies – Sawflies emerge from brown cocoons hidden on branches when temperatures are ideal (as in a heated home);
- Praying Mantises – Mantis egg masses (ootheca) will hatch when brought inside, creating a swarm of these mini-predators ;
- Bark Beetles – About the size of a grain of rice, these black and red bugs may leave sawdust on the trunk of the tree.
THE SAFER® BRAND INSECT-FIGHTING ARSENAL
Worried about your home and the Christmas tree bugs you could bring inside? Look to Safer® Brand's OMRI Listed® products, including Diatomaceous Earth and EndALL® with Neem Oil, to easily combat the insects infesting a Christmas tree.
Also check out Safer® Brand's Christmas tree Care Guide, which helps you understand how best to cut, transport, water and ultimately dispose of a live Christmas tree.
Safer® Brand is a Lititz, Pennsylvania-based manufacturer specializing in solutions for gardening. Most Safer® products are OMRI Listed®, which means they are compliant for use in organic gardening. Visit SaferBrand.com to explore our pest-control options.
SOURCE Safer® Brand