CHICAGO, Dec. 18, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- With the height of the holiday travel season just days away, United Airlines encourages customers to make its industry-leading mobile app their go-to travel tool. Since its launch, the app has reached more than 15 million downloads and CIO Magazine recently selected United as a recipient of its prestigious CIO 100 Award, recognizing the airline's commitment to improving customer experience with mobile technology.
Top 5 Ways the United App is Your Best Holiday Travel Companion:
1. Timely, updated alerts – This time of year, severe winter weather can put a wrinkle in travel plans. When checking in via the mobile app, turning on the "Send Notification" functionality ensures travelers receive alerts about changes, delays or cancelations so customers have information at their fingertips for quicker solutions and better planning.
2. Adjusting travel plans – When winter weather hits and a flight is canceled, customers will be notified and can use the app to select different flights that best suit their schedule. New features now alert travelers on the app's home screen and provide opportunities to select alternate flights including surrounding airports when available for more flexibility.
3. Change your seat – Upon mobile check-in, customers can change their seat or treat themselves to extra legroom by purchasing an United Economy Plus seat.
4. In-flight entertainment – United now offers complimentary on-demand entertainment through customers' personal devices on nearly 200 aircraft. Travelers can stream hundreds of movies and TV shows, including Orange is the New Black, House of Cards and The LEGO Movie, on their iOS and Android devices, using the app. Personal device entertainment is also available for laptops. Before leaving for the airport, customers can check entertainment availability for their flight and, before boarding, should download the latest version of the app. For complete information on personal device entertainment, visit united.com.
5. Scan your passport – Travelers flying internationally to locations not requiring a visa can now skip the kiosk and fully check in for their flights via the mobile app on iOS and Android devices with United's new passport scanning functionality.
To download the latest version of the United app, customers can visit Apple's App Store or Google Play.
United Airlines and United Express operate an average of 5,100 flights a day to 374 airports across six continents. In 2013, United and United Express operated nearly two million flights carrying 139 million customers. With U.S. mainland hubs in Chicago, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, New York/Newark, San Francisco and Washington, D.C., United operates more than 700 mainline aircraft. This year, the airline is taking delivery of 35 new Boeing aircraft, including the 787-9 as the North American launch customer, and is welcoming 32 new Embraer 175 aircraft to United Express. The airline is a founding member of Star Alliance, which provides service to 192 countries via 27 member airlines. More than 85,000 United employees reside in every U.S. state and in countries around the world. For more information, visit united.com, follow @United on Twitter or connect on Facebook. The common stock of United's parent, United Continental Holdings, Inc., is traded on the NYSE under the symbol UAL.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/5-ways-the-united-airlines-mobile-app-is-your-best-holiday-travel-companion-300011880.html
SOURCE United Airlines