CHICAGO, May 24, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Eight package designs by Berlin Packaging's Studio One Eleven design division are featured in The Big Book of Packaging, a recently released anthology of the latest innovations in packaging design compiled by branding and design authorities Will Burke, Lisa Baer and James Pietruszynski. The eight projects span food, health/beauty, pet care, automotive and household chemical products for which Studio One Eleven provided structural design, graphic design and/or brand strategy services, with all components manufactured by Berlin Packaging's supply network to ensure successful execution.
The 384-page book highlights over 500 designs that demonstrate how to package products creatively, economically and sustainably. An introduction by Burke, founder and CEO of Brand Engine, states that the "common thread among this elite group [of package designs] is their ability to tell a brand story that is authentic, meaningful and compelling. These designs deliver on many levels by transcending the merely obvious and offering us the possible. The shape, material, color and graphics combine to arouse our interest and influence our decisions."
The Studio One Eleven design projects spotlighted in the book include:
- Renpure Organic Hair Care, a brand strategy, visual identity, custom bottle and closure all inspired by the brand's emphasis on purity. Studio One Eleven helped communicate the brand attributes of purity, freshness and nature with a hand-drawn gestural brandmark, pure white typography, and brightly colored custom bottles and closures featuring a hard-to-manufacture organic shape successfully delivered by Berlin Packaging partners.
- Softsoap NutriSerums Body Wash, a custom bottle and closure designed for easy one-handed use in the shower. Created after an extensive trend analysis that included sampling excursions to Europe, the patented bottle shape pushes the boundaries of PET blow molding technology while also showcasing the product – consisting of pearlescent beads suspended in a clear gel. The patented closure is bi-injected to match each SKU's colors.
- ACT Anticavity Fluoride Rinse featuring SpongeBob SquarePants, a structural design project for Chattem, licensee of the Nickelodeon SpongeBob character. Adding play value to a decidedly un-playful category, the package uses the familiar SpongeBob stylized seaweed pattern to frame the bottle's silhouette. The silhouette also serves to amplify and refract the deep blue of the bottle, evoking the aesthetic of SpongeBob's underwater world.
- Downy Wrinkle Releaser, a structural design project for the oneCARE Company to improve the appearance and usability of the product's 500ml and 1000ml package systems. Studio One Eleven unified the new bottle design with existing Downy brand equities, including shape and color, and also specified a new trigger sprayer after ethnographic studies revealed user complaints about the performance of the incumbent solution.
- Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell Paste Wax, a new package with four custom components that resemble the brand's iconic turtle shell when assembled plus a die-cut label with a foil-stamped turtle brand mark that evokes the Turtle Wax shine. A new twist-off primary cap and translucent overcap solved the outgoing package's spilling problems, while functional modifications to the jar base improved alignment and stackability on the retail shelf.
- Fischer & Wieser Cooking Sauces, a custom glass bottle with a collared shoulder and scripted brand embossment plus an exclusive brand mark featuring a hand-lettered script with flourished details. The two-toned label architecture includes an antique marble texture, watermark and a warm color palette reflecting the sophisticated flavor offering. The neck is accented by a shrink band with a recurring decorative watermark.
- Amoretti Olive Oil, an upscale package for Noushig Inc. utilizing an antique green stock glass bottle from Italy with a stair-stepped pedestal foot, soft rounded shoulder, and slender neck accented by a gold neck label. Studio One Eleven also created a new brand identity, including a hand-scripted brand mark created by renowned type designer Horst Mickler as well as a label incorporating a silkscreened olive branch and 'World Pastry Champion' seal.
- Tropiclean Pet Shampoo, a brand update for Cosmos Corporation that included a logo redesign, a custom bottle right-sized for the user's hands and suited to the one-handed use often required for pet grooming, and a custom flip-top closure also designed to be opened and closed with one hand. The new logo retains the previous look and feel with a fresher, bolder presentation.
"The power of these packages stems not just from our grounding in the traditional creative process, but also from our pre-design discovery work. From interviewing target users to mapping planograms to analyzing our clients' competitors, our process is designed to leave no stone unturned in the pursuit of great consumer experiences. What you see on the page and on the shelf isn't just a package that stands out, but one that functions well and thereby helps drive repeat sales," said Scott Jost, Berlin Packaging Vice President of Innovation and Design. "Creativity is essential, as the examples in this publication demonstrate, but how people interact with the package and the manufacturing implementation itself are equally important. We have built our reputation on our ability to deliver all three."
About Berlin Packaging
Berlin Packaging is North America's premier Hybrid Packaging Supplier of plastic, glass, and metal containers and closures. With over 33,000 available SKUs, over 100 packaging consultants, and more than 80 sales and warehouse locations across North America, the company has the right products, expertise, and geographic proximity to help customers increase their net income through packaging products and services. Berlin Packaging supplies billions of containers and closures annually as well as warehousing and logistics services for customers of all sizes in all industries. It is the only company in its sector to be ISO 9001 certified, to have Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism (C-TPAT) certification, and to achieve 99% on-time delivery of its shipments every month for seven years. Related services and specialty product divisions include Studio One Eleven custom packaging and graphic design, Berlin Global sourcing solutions, E3 profit-oriented consulting, Berlin Financial financing for equipment and capital improvements, Dangerous Goods transport, Freund Container & Supply convenience, and Qorpak laboratory supplies. The company can be reached at 1-800-2-BERLIN, www.BerlinPackaging.com, and on LinkedIn and Twitter.
SOURCE Berlin Packaging