NEW YORK, Aug. 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- To launch this year's 9/11 Day campaign, MyGoodDeed, the 9/11 nonprofit which annually organizes the federally-recognized 9/11 Day of Service and Remembrance (http://911day.org), will unveil an inspiring 30-foot-long "I will" sculpture in Times Square to capture and film 9/11 good deed tributes of pedestrians and guests.
- Military veterans, first responders, 9/11 family members, supporters and members of the general public will take turns standing on the sculpture and declaring what good deeds they "will" perform this year (their "I Will" pledges) in observance of 9/11.
- Images will be filmed for use in public service and social media campaigns and beamed using Aerva™ technology to giant digital Clear Channel and American Eagle billboards in Times Square; images will also be posted at 911day.org and shared through social media.
- Prominent celebs, organizations and others will begin posting supportive messages throughout social media, including Facebook, Twitter and Tout. Twitter and Tout hash tag: #911day. Select #911day tweets from around the world will appear on the Clear Channel billboard from 9:00AM to 11:00AM ET and the American Eagle billboard from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM ET.
- Organizers also will:
- Break new television public service announcements featuring prominent officials and top celebrities talking about their 9/11 memories and "I Will" pledges.
- Launch a new website at 911day.org, where individuals can find service activities to do on 9/11, post their own plans, and dedicate their service to 9/11 victims by name.
- Release free, downloadable lesson plans for teachers.
- Announce plans to implement large-scale volunteer service projects on 9/11 in major cities to benefit homeless families and veterans. These projects, which will be run by military veterans and staged in partnership with The Mission Continues, Volunteers of America, Second Harvest Heartland and the Corporation for National and Community Service, will be held in New York City; Washington, DC; Chicago; Los Angeles; Dallas/Fort Worth and Minneapolis.
- David Paine, President and Co-Founder, MyGoodDeed and 9/11 Day (click here to read David's bio).
- Jay Winuk, Executive Vice President and Co-Founder, MyGoodDeed and 9/11 Day; brother of 9/11 victim and first-responder Glenn Winuk (click here to read Jay's bio).
- Leading representatives from The Mission Continues, Pat Tillman Foundation, Got Your 6, Volunteers of America and military veterans.
- 9/11 family members and first responders.
- Pedestrians visiting Times Square from New York City and around the world.
WHERE: Times Square Plaza, just north of 44 Street between Broadway and 7th Avenue, Manhattan, NY
Thursday, August 16, 2012
Media photo and interview opportunity: 9:00 AM – NOON ET, or by appointment.
Sculpture on display and available to the public: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM ET
Clear Channel billboard will be active from 9:00 AM to 11:00AM ET; American Eagle billboard from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM ET
About 9/11 Day Video (2.5 mins): http://youtu.be/wTghWTJ2Qgg
2012 9/11 Day Public Service Announcement: http://youtu.be/R475DTQeG2M
** Broadcast quality b-roll available upon request **
ADDITIONAL BACKGROUND: With widespread support from the 9/11 community, the 9/11 nonprofit MyGoodDeed launched the 9/11 Day observance in 2003 as a lasting tribute to the 9/11 victims and those who rose in service in response to the attacks. In 2009 the group successfully secured passage of bi-partisan legislation that officially established 9/11 as a National Day of Service and Remembrance under federal law. Today 9/11 is the nation's largest annual day of charitable service, with more than 33 million people participating last year from all 50 states and many nations throughout the world.
Among the many prominent individuals who support the "I Will" campaign are Lady Gaga, Samuel L. Jackson, Dr. Oz, Terrence Howard, Gary Sinise, Selena Gomez, Kevin Spacey, Demi Lovato, Tim McGraw, Kathleen Turner, Mickey Rourke, Denis Leary, Julianne Moore, Maria Shriver, Justin Tuck, Bebe Neuwirth and many others.
This year's funding and/or supporting organizations include American Express, Target Corporation, GlaxoSmithKline, NYSE Euronext, Viacom, AOL, Clear Channel, 9/11 Memorial, Corporation for National and Community Service, Holland & Knight, NFL Charities, Cantor Fitzgerald, Benjamin Moore Paint, Aerva, The Broadway League, Times Square Alliance, Creative Artists Agency, Sunshine Sachs, SNS Staging Inc., American Eagle and others.