SEATTLE, May 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- A Place for Mom® (APFM), the nation's largest senior living referral service, released results from its second annual Mother's Day survey to shed light on maternal relationships, including valuable pieces of wisdom from moms across the country. Leading themes of wisdom were shared on topics including life and happiness, kindness and compassion, career and money, love, strength and coping, humility and morality, and family and children.
"As we celebrate Mother's Day, we are inspired by the valuable advice and insights received from the moms and daughters we help each day," said Sean Kell, CEO of A Place for Mom. "Our Senior Living Advisors provide strength and guidance to families in need, and this survey was a wonderful opportunity for us to benefit from the wisdom of those we serve as they care for their loved ones."
A sampling of the wisdom shared from mother's across the country, according to A Place for Mom's survey were:
- You cannot control what life gives you, but you can control how you handle it.
- Seek first to understand, not to be understood.
- Work hard and always have something for yourself.
- Don't give up. Remember your roots. Stay strong, and if all else fails, have a good cry (but privately)!
- Doing the right thing isn't always easy, but it's easier than the alternative.
- It is important to be kind to your family, because you are stuck with them forever.
- No matter what obstacle you are facing, no matter how difficult, daunting or terrifying, if you attack it with everything you are made of you will always prevail.
- Surround yourself with people that lift you up and make you laugh!
- Love is what matters most in the world.
- Always have a good pair of red heels and red purse.
A comprehensive list of motherly words of wisdom is available on A Place for Mom's blog.
With over 300 Americans ages 18-65 polled, survey results showed that many Americans describe their mothers positively and state relationships have grown closer over time.
- Words used to describe mom were:
- Inspirational (90 percent)
- Loving (29 percent)
- Strong (27 percent)
- Caring (22 percent)
- Hard-working (22 percent)
- Unselfish (20 percent)
- Mothers have positively influenced key areas of their children's lives including:
- Relationships with others (40 percent)
- Decision-making (34 percent)
- Self-esteem (24 percent)
- Career (12 percent)
- Over time, more than half of adults surveyed have strengthened their relationship with mom and have:
- Become closer friends (54 percent)
- Become each other's support system (39 percent)
- Moms (45 percent) and sons/daughters (40 percent) seek each other's advice before making major decisions
About A Place for Mom
A Place for Mom, Inc. (APFM) is the nation's largest senior living referral service providing resources and personalized assistance in finding senior living services. Using its nationwide network of more than 18,000 providers, APFM helps families find options based on a loved one's stated needs, preferences and budget. This may include independent senior housing, home care, residential care homes, assisted living communities and specialized Alzheimer's memory care. The service is offered at no charge to families as providers pay a fee to APFM. For more information, visit www.aplaceformom.com, call 1-877-311-6099 or visit one of APFM's social networks at Twitter, Facebook, Google +, Senior Living Blog and Pinterest.
SOURCE A Place for Mom