NEW YORK, Feb. 12, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Aviation Week Network's Air Transport World (ATW), the leading media brand serving the information needs of the global airline and commercial air transport communities, announced today the full list of winners for its 2018 Annual Airline Industry Achievement Awards. Lufthansa Group chairman and CEO Carsten Spohr, Air Canada, Norwegian Air and Hong Kong International Airport are among the winners of the ATW 44th Annual Airline Industry Achievement Awards.
The ATW Airline Industry Achievement Awards recognize excellence across a broad range of airline operations and are widely considered as the most coveted in the aviation industry. The ATW Awards will be presented on March 27, 2018, at a gala dinner at The Round Room, Mansion House in Dublin, Ireland.
ATW previously announced that the recipient of its 2018 Airline of the Year is All Nippon Airways. Japan's largest airline was selected by ATW's editorial board in recognition of the phenomenal achievements by ANA's leadership and employees this past year.
Additional winners revealed today include:
- Leadership Excellence: Lufthansa CEO Carsten Spohr's strong and dynamic leadership of Lufthansa has transformed it into one of the most successful and innovative airlines in the world. "I am honored to receive the excellence in leadership award from one of the aviation industry's leading media outlets. I take it as a recognition and appreciation for the ongoing modernization of Lufthansa that is represented by 130,000 passionate employees of the Lufthansa Group. That's why I'd like to dedicate this award to the Lufthansa staff," said Spohr.
- Eco-Airline of the Year: Air Canada has made sustainability central to its decision-making and business processes. "We are very pleased that ATW has recognized the effectiveness of our environmental programs, including our participation in the development and support of alternative fuels in Canada, and our efforts to contribute to healthier communities," said Calin Rovinescu, President and CEO of Air Canada.
- Airline Market Leader: airBaltic is a Latvian carrier that has brought new standards of service and connectivity to the Baltics. Martin Gauss, Chief Executive Officer of airBaltic said, "2017 was a record year for airBaltic and we are more than thrilled to be recognized on a global scale by ATW. The strong performance of airBaltic allowed us to increase our market share in the Baltic region and to strengthen our position as the market leader. It is an honor to join the list of global airlines that have received this prestigious award over the last few decades."
- Value Airline of the Year: Norwegian Air Shuttle is a long-haul, low-cost carrier that launched more than 20 transatlantic routes in 2017. "To be named Value Airline of the Year is a major accomplishment for Norwegian and all our dedicated people that we are extremely proud of. Our airline was founded on the basis that everyone should be able to afford to fly, and as we are continuously entering new markets across the world, we continue to offer even more people affordable fares and high quality service," said Bjørn Kjos, CEO and Founder of Norwegian.
- Airport of the Year: Hong Kong International is an airport which has managed growth while continuing to add enhancements that ease the passenger's journey.
- Leasing Company of the Year: AerCap is the only independent lessor with three investment grade ratings.
- Aviation Technology Achievement: SITA is recognized for a world first facial biometric boarding system with New York-based JetBlue Airways using just a facial scan to board passengers and complete US Customs exit checks.
- Passenger Experience Achievement: Cross Border Xpress (CBX) has revolutionized the border crossing experience for air travelers between Southern California and Mexico with the opening of a passenger facility that connects Tijuana airport to a "terminal" on the San Diego side of the border.
The ATW Airline Industry Achievement Awards are sponsored by CFM International and Pratt & Whitney.
For more information about the awards, attending the award ceremony and sponsorship opportunities, visit http://award.atwonline.com
ABOUT AIR TRANSPORT WORLD
Air Transport World is part of the Aviation Week Network, the largest multimedia information and services provider for the global aviation, aerospace and defense industries that has a database of 1.2 million professionals around the world. Industry professionals rely on Aviation Week Network for analysis, marketing and intelligence. Customers include the world's leading manufacturers, suppliers, airlines, business aviation operators, militaries, governments and other organizations that serve this global market. The product portfolio includes Air Transport World, Aviation Week & Space Technology, AC-U-KWIK, Aircraft Blue Book, Airportdata.com, Air Charter Guide, AviationWeek.com, Aviation Week Intelligence Network, Business & Commercial Aviation, ShowNews, SpeedNews, Fleet and MRO forecasts, global maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) tradeshows and aerospace & defense conferences.
Aviation Week Network is part of Informa, the international business intelligence, academic publishing, knowledge and events group. Informa serves commercial, professional and academic communities, helping them connect and learn, and creating and providing access to content and intelligence that helps people and businesses work smarter and make better decisions faster.
Informa has over 7,500 colleagues in more than 20 countries and a presence in all major geographies. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a member of the FTSE 100.
Director, Marketing Communications
Aviation Week Network
SOURCE Air Transport World