SAN ANTONIO, Aug. 16, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- This Saturday, the Petco Foundation kicks off their annual "All for Saving Lives" campaign to celebrate the life-changing effect of pets in our lives with a goal to raise $2.2 million to support lifesaving animal welfare organizations nationwide.
"All for Saving Lives" explores the many ways pets impact people's lives from improving mental health to keeping physically fit. The campaign message of "Pets Change our Lives. Let's Save Theirs" encourages people across the country to save animal lives by making a donation at the checkout in a Petco store or online.
"The 'All for Saving Lives' campaign highlights the science behind the human-animal bond and educates people about the positive impacts of adopting a pet," said Steven Feldman, executive director of Human Animal Bond Research Institute (HABRI). "Supported by scientific research, we share five important ways that pets change people's lives for the better."
- Pets Keep Us Fit: Pets encourage physical activity, with research showing that people who walk their dogs regularly are less likely to be obese than those who do not.
- Pets Improve Mental Health: Studies have shown that human-animal interaction helps improve psychological well-being, decrease social isolation, and promote higher levels of life satisfaction.
- Pets Provide Social Support: According to recent studies, interaction with animals helps children develop improved social skills including improved communication, decreased stress, and positive social interaction with their peers.
- Pets Support Healthier Hearts: Research shows that people with pets are more likely to have lower blood pressure, decreased stress, and lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- Pets Fight Allergies: Studies show that children exposed to pets early in life will develop stronger immune systems and be less likely to develop allergies as they grow up.
Individuals can support the "All for Saving Lives" campaign by:
Donating in a Petco store, Unleashed by Petco store or online August 18 through September 9.
Adopting a new family member during the All for Saving Lives National Adoption Weekend: Saturday and Sunday, September 1 -2
All Petco and Unleashed by Petco store locations
To learn more about the Foundation and this lifesaving campaign, visit www.petcofoundation.org/savelives.
About the Petco Foundation
At the Petco Foundation, we believe that every animal deserves to live its best life. Since 1999, we've invested more than $200 million in lifesaving animal welfare work to make that happen. With our more than 4,000 animal welfare partners, we inspire and empower communities to make a difference by investing in adoption and medical care programs, spay and neuter services, pet cancer research, service and therapy animals, and numerous other lifesaving initiatives. Through our Think Adoption First program, we partner with Petco stores and animal welfare organizations across the country to increase pet adoptions. So far, we've helped more than 5.5 million pets find their new loving families, and we're just getting started. Visit petcofoundation.org to learn more about how you can get involved.
The Human Animal Bond Research Institute (HABRI) is a not-for-profit organization that maintains the world's largest online library of human-animal bond research and information; funds innovative research projects to scientifically document the health benefits of companion animals; and informs the public about human-animal bond research and the beneficial role of companion animals in society. For more information, please visit habri.org.
Lisa Lane, Director of Marketing and Development
SOURCE Petco Foundation