IRVINE, Calif., Dec. 30, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- When the ball drops on New Year's Eve it will conclude a record-setting year of increased sales and market share for Kia Motors America (KMA), and revelers ushering in the New Year in Times Square will be introduced to the latest result of Kia's design-led transformation – the all-new 2011 Kia Optima – with a new billboard and digital advertisements at One Times Square. The 20-foot by 40-foot Optima advertisement is the latest component of the biggest launch campaign in KMA's history, and will introduce the stylish and performance-oriented midsize sedan to more than one million people every day. The outdoor campaign for the Optima will expand in spring 2011 with the addition of several digital and static display areas on all sides of the One Times Square building.
"2010 was a historic year for the Kia brand with the launch of our first U.S.-built vehicle(1) and significantly increased consumer awareness and consideration, and the addition of the all-new Optima to our lineup will continue our momentum into the New Year," said Michael Sprague, vice president, marketing and communications, KMA. "The Optima has been turning heads since its unveiling earlier this year, and its striking good looks will be right at home under the bright lights of Times Square beginning on New Year's Eve and continuing well into 2011."
The Times Square billboard follows the mid-December introduction of "Sweet Dreams," a made-for-cinema 60-second Optima spot currently running at movie theaters nationwide. The all-new Optima, which recently earned the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's "Top Safety Pick" award, will also be featured in Kia's second Super Bowl ad in February, and has been designated the "Official Vehicle of the NBA" for the current basketball season. Consumers will also have the chance to experience the Optima's blend of style and performance through the "Experience the New Standard" test drive program at select auto shows around the country.
The all-new 2011 Optima advances Kia Motors' design-led transformation with completely new and stunning design characteristics, highlighted by a dynamic and streamlined profile that conveys elegance and athletic confidence from every angle. The all-new Optima's three new powertrains – including the brand's first-ever turbo and hybrid engines (available next year) in the U.S. – deliver a class leading combination of power(2) and fuel economy(3) while the sedan's spacious cabin is outfitted with the latest technology features and luxury amenities. Available in three trims, LX, EX and SX(4), the 2011 Optima features a starting price of MSRP of $18,995.(5)
About Kia Motors America
Kia Motors America (KMA) is the marketing and distribution arm of Kia Motors Corporation based in Seoul, South Korea. KMA offers a complete line of vehicles through more than 725 dealers throughout the United States. For 2009, KMA recorded its 15th consecutive year of increased U.S. market share and recently achieved its best quarter of sales ever in 2010. Kia Motors subscribes to a philosophy of building high value, high quality, safe and dynamic vehicles. Kia Motors prides itself on producing vehicles that are exciting and enabling and evoke the Kia tagline "The Power to Surprise."
Kia Motors America is the "Official Automotive Partner of the NBA." Information about Kia Motors America and its full vehicle line-up is available at its Web site – www.kia.com. For media information, including photography, visit www.kiamedia.com.
1. The 2011 Sorento is assembled at the Kia U.S. plant with U.S. and globally sourced parts.
2. HP claim based on comparison of 2010 and available 2011 midsize sedans with standard 4-cylinder engine as of December 2010. Maximum horsepower for Optima 2.4L GDI engine is 200 hp @ 6,300 rpm; maximum horsepower for Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (SULEV) 2.4L GDI engine -- the only non-turbo engine available in CA, CT, ME, MD, MA, NJ, NM, NY, OR, PA, RI, VT and WA -- is 192 hp @ 6,300 rpm.
3. MPG claim for LX manual transmission. EPA estimate for 2011 Kia Optima LX 2.4L GDI engine w/MT are 24 mpg/city and 35 mpg/hwy. Claim based on comparison as of December 2010 of 2010 and available 2011 EPA city/hwy mpg estimates for midsize sedans with I4, nonhybrid engines. Actual mileage may vary.
4. SX model will be available in early 2011
5. Starting price is manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) for lowest trim level. MSRPs exclude $695 destination and handling fee, title, taxes, license, options and dealer charges. Actual prices set by dealer and may vary.
SOURCE Kia Motors America