LANSING, Ill., Oct. 26, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- In honor of National Sandwich Day and the birthday of Earl of Sandwich, both on Nov. 3, Land O'Frost, the country's largest family-owned packaged lunch meat company, is celebrating all "relatives" of the sandwich, that is all Sams, Samuels and Samanthas, by giving away pounds of America's most popular lunchtime item.
During the 18th century, the Earl of Sandwich, John Montagu, requested his lunch be served between two slices of bread, as a way to consume lunch with one hand. Montagu was certainly a trend setter, as today more than half (51 percent) of all Americans eat sandwiches each day for lunch, according to a recent survey conducted by Land O'Frost. In honor of his great contribution, Nov. 3 marks Montagu's birthday and has been officially declared National Sandwich Day. To celebrate, Land O'Frost is celebrating any "relative" of the sandwich – meaning, anyone named Sam, Samantha or Sammy.
Land O'Frost will reward the first baby named Sam, or some variation, born on Nov. 3, 2011 free lunch meat for every year they are in school (from age 5 to age 18). In addition, Land O'Frost will offer a free package of lunch meat to each and every person named Sam in the U.S.(1)
"We owe a lot to the sandwich," said Felicia Wheat, consumer marketing manager at Land O'Frost. "After all, a very large majority of lunch meat is used for sandwich making. But since we can't give John Montagu, creator of the sandwich, a birthday present, we decided to play off the common nickname of a sandwich – Sammy – and give all Americans who have a variation of the name presents instead."
Land O'Frost recently polled America(2) to learn about their most-loved lunch time traditions. Here are a few interesting statistics about America's favorite lunch item:
- Gobble, gobble … One in three Americans say turkey is their favorite lunchmeat. Next up is roast beef, followed by ham.
- Holy cow! One third of men prefer roast beef on their sandwich, but only one in five women prefer roast beef.
- Crunch on this - half of Americans say that potato chips are their favorite sandwich side dish, whereas only 10 percent select fruit or veggies to accompany their sandwich.
- Got a sweet tooth? One in four Americans say they like their lunch meats sweet, such as honey ham.
- A working lunch! More than one third of Americans eat lunch at their desk at work, whereas only six percent regularly eat lunch at a restaurant.
For full rules and details about prize redemption, visit www.landomoms.com.
About Land O'Frost
Land O'Frost manufactures sliced packaged luncheon meats (beef, chicken, turkey, and ham), and is the largest family owned brand of packaged deli meat in the U.S. Some of the leading products marketed by Land O'Frost include: Land O'Frost Premium® One Pound the top selling deli pouch in the U.S.; Land O'Frost DeliShaved®, and their ultra premium line Land O'Frost® Bistro Favorites™. Information on several additional items can be found on their website. The Land O'Frost brand can be found in the supermarkets and mass merchandisers that account for nearly 90 percent of the retail sales in the country, as well as Mexico, Puerto Rico and other U.S. Territories. Land O'Frost also manufactures specialty meat products sold to restaurants and major food manufacturers. The company operates three facilities in Lansing, Ill., Madisonville, Ky. and Searcy, Ark. Visit www.landofrost.com for additional information.
(1) With provided proof of name, up to 500 recipients
(2) Impulse Research: Sandwich Survey, Online random sampling, Oct. 2011
SOURCE Land O'Frost