SAN JOSE, Calif., and DETROIT, Oct. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Altera Corporation (NASDAQ: ALTR) today announced it is demonstrating new field-programmable gate array (FPGA) solutions enabling systems designers to rapidly add features and functionality to their automotive systems designs at SAE Convergence in Detroit, Michigan from October 21 to 22 in Booth #313. The demonstrations include a variety of new solutions for advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) and infotainment applications on Cyclone® FPGAs.
Industry-Standard Design Flows Speed Development Time
Altera offers solutions that accelerate design times and improve design productivity by eliminating the need to write code in traditional RTL. Designers can target Cyclone V SoCs using the Altera SDK for OpenCL, an industry-standard software-based design flow that reduces development time from months to days by allowing designers to use a familiar software programming language such as C instead of the traditional VHDL or Verilog. Similarly, engineers can leverage Altera's DSP Builder tool to develop algorithms in MATLAB/Simulink, and port them to an FPGA without the need to write RTL code.
ISO 26262 Functional Safety and AUTOSAR Solutions Improve Productivity
Altera takes a holistic approach to functional safety. By targeting ISO 26262 certification for Altera's Quartus® II design tools, FPGAs and associated safety diagnostics IP, Altera offers designers 12 to 18 months of development time savings compared to non-certified offerings. Additional Cyclone V SoC features such as 16- and 32-bit DDR memory interfaces with hardened error correction code (ECC) provide the lowest latency and highest reliability memory interfaces critical to embedded vision and video processing applications.
To complement our functional safety offering, Altera is introducing the first ever automotive open-system architecture (AUTOSAR) version 4.0.3 microcontroller abstraction layer (MCAL) solution for programmable logic, a solution available for Cyclone V SoC FPGAs. AUTOSAR helps improve automotive design productivity by abstracting the application software code from the underlying hardware. Altera's ready-built MCAL was developed with an ISO 26262 ASIL B compliant safety-level methodology, to provide a streamlined foundation for our customers to rapidly innovate and differentiate their safety-critical applications.
"Altera is committed to increasing automotive design productivity by offering flexible hardware and software solutions to the automotive industry," said Dan McNamara, vice president of Altera's Automotive business unit. "Our full portfolio of AEC-Q100-certified FPGAs, CPLDs and FPGA-optimized Enpirion® power solutions are designed to save customers months of design time."
Altera's in-booth live demonstrations at SAE Convergence 2014 include:
- OpenCL-based implementation of Lucas Kanade dense optical flow
- High-performance video analytics solution demonstrating multiple ADAS algorithms such as lane tracking, pedestrian detection and traffic sign recognition running simultaneously on a single Cyclone V SoC FPGA
- Stereo-vision IP suite showcasing image rectification, distortion correction, stereo matching and object detection in a Cyclone V SoC utilizing less than 75K logic elements
- Low latency Ethernet video camera stream that offloads the CPU, receives packetized video and decodes the video with ultra-low video latency of under two frames
- Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA) Embedded DisplayPort® (eDP) solution showing how an FPGA can interface to the embedded display port protocol, which is increasingly used for high-definition LCD applications
- Low-cost, 360-degree surround view solution for parking assistance applications
To learn more about Altera's automotive solutions, visit http://www.altera.com/automotive.
Altera® programmable solutions enable designers of electronic systems to rapidly and cost effectively innovate, differentiate and win in their markets. Altera offers FPGAs, SoCs, CPLDs, ASICs and complementary technologies, such as power management, to provide high-value solutions to customers worldwide. Visit www.altera.com.
ALTERA, ARRIA, CYCLONE, ENPIRION, MAX, MEGACORE, NIOS, QUARTUS and STRATIX words and logos are trademarks of Altera Corporation and registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and in other countries. All other words and logos identified as trademarks or service marks are the property of their respective holders as described at www.altera.com/legal
SOURCE Altera Corporation