ST. LOUIS, April 5, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Ameren Corporation is celebrating National Volunteer Month by helping local community organizations with a range of volunteer projects that focus on benefiting families, promoting diversity and inclusion, and supporting educational programs and opportunities. This year's projects, selected and led by Ameren's diverse employee resource groups, will include spring cleaning, gardening, preparing classrooms and helping those with special needs.
"During the past five years, Ameren co-workers have supported nearly 400 volunteer projects," said Mark Lindgren, senior vice president of corporate communications and chief human resources officer for Ameren. "Time and time again, our employees have given generously of their time and talents to help improve the lives of thousands of people across our region."
The volunteer initiatives are part of the Ameren Cares program, which connects Ameren with the communities it serves through charitable giving and volunteering. A key focus of Ameren Cares is to partner with nonprofit organizations that improve the quality of life of people living in Ameren's service territory.
Ameren's volunteer projects selected for National Volunteer Month include:
- Maintaining facilities, preparing classrooms, and organizing a book drive at several St. Louis Charter Schools (St. Louis Language Immersion School, KIPP Academy and St. Louis College Prep).
- Spring cleaning at the Violence Prevention Center of Southwestern Illinois and Ronald McDonald House in St. Louis.
- Assisting with field events at area Special Olympics Spring Games in St. Louis, Cape Girardeau and Columbia, Missouri; and in Edwardsville, Charleston and Normal, Illinois.
- Spring planting at the Transgender Memorial Garden in St. Louis.
- Painting a wall and assembling baby shower baskets for clients at Nurses for Newborns in St. Louis.
- Presenting an electrical safety program at the Girl Scout Camporee in Dexter, Missouri.
- Participating in Rebuilding Together STL residential rehab project in partnership with local college students. The event supports the community and provides an opportunity to build networking relationships for possible career opportunities at Ameren.
St. Louis-based Ameren Corporation powers the quality of life for 2.4 million electric customers and more than 900,000 natural gas customers in a 64,000-square-mile area through its Ameren Missouri and Ameren Illinois rate-regulated utility subsidiaries. Ameren Illinois provides electric delivery and transmission service as well as natural gas delivery service while Ameren Missouri provides vertically integrated electric service, with generating capacity of over 10,200 megawatts, and natural gas delivery service. Ameren Transmission Company of Illinois develops regional electric transmission projects. Follow the company on Twitter @AmerenCorp. For more information, visit Ameren.com.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ameren-employees-to-support-families-diversity-initiatives-and-educational-opportunities-during-national-volunteer-month-300246400.html
SOURCE Ameren Corporation