ST. LOUIS, May 15, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Ameren officials today issued a statement that a scam is impacting Ameren customers in Illinois and Missouri in an effort to illegally obtain their Social Security numbers.
The Better Business Bureau reports this scam has affected utility customers in several states. According to reports, the scam claims President Barack Obama is applying payments or credits of up to $1,500 to the customer's utility bill. This is false. The scam calls for customers to make a payment "today" by using a bank routing number supplied by the scammers, and the number appearing on the back of their Social Security cards as the bank account number. The bank routing number is fraudulent and cannot be used to pay a utility bill.
According to reports, scammers have visited customers in person, posted fliers and used social media and texting to send this false message.
"We have identified customer accounts that may have been scammed by these identity thieves and are notifying them." said Carole Hunt, assistant treasurer, Ameren Services. "We carefully guard our customers' account information and always advise them to use Ameren-authorized payment methods."
If an Ameren customer has recently made a transaction as described, they may call Customer Service in Illinois at 800.755.5000, or, Missouri at 800.552.7583.
Ameren offers these tips against scammers:
- Never give your credit card, debit card, Social Security, ATM, checking or saving account numbers to anyone who comes to your home, calls or sends an email requesting this information.
- If a caller claims to be an Ameren representative and asks for immediate payment over the phone or requests other personal information, hang up and call 800.755.5000 in Illinois or, 800.552.7583 in Missouri.
- Never allow anyone into your home who wants to check your electrical wiring, natural gas pipes or appliances unless you have scheduled an appointment or have reported a natural gas leak and the person has proper identification.
- Photo identification is carried by every Ameren employee and includes name, employee number and an official Ameren logo.
- If you suspect someone is impersonating an Ameren employee, end the conversation and immediately call your local police and then Ameren Illinois, 800.755.5000, or Ameren Missouri, 800.552.7583.
With assets of approximately $23 billion, Ameren serves 2.4 million electric customers and more than 900,000 natural gas customers in a 64,000-square-mile area of Missouri and Illinois.