NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y., May 12, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Marathon runners, who like to collect passport stamps along with their completion medals, can set their sights on the Marabana Havana Marathon and half-marathon this year. Insight Cuba, is offering Americans the exclusive opportunity to legally participate in this momentous run through the historic city on Sunday, November 16, 2014.
"Sport and athletic competition continues to be the great global conduit to bring people, cultures and countries together," says Tom Popper, president of Insight Cuba. "This year, we can finally realize the dream of Americans running side-by-side with our island neighbors through the neighborhoods of Havana during the Marabana Havana Marathon and half-marathon."
Insight Cuba, the leading provider of authorized people-to-people travel to Cuba for U.S. citizens since 2000 has created three exclusive tours surrounding the November 16, 2014 event. These include the Havana Marathon 4-Day Tour (Nov 14-17), the Havana Marathon and People-to-People 8-Day Warm-Up Tour (Nov 10-17), and the Havana Marathon and People-to-People 8-Day Cool-Down Tour (Nov 14-21). Tour prices range from $2,495 to $4,395 per person (double occupancy).
"We are proud to be working with Insight Cuba and provide Americans this very special opportunity," says Carlos Gattorno, race director of the Marabana Havana Marathon. "We are excited to have runners from across the U.S. at the starting line, and in a small way bridging the divide which has existed between our two countries."
The course winds through magnificent avenues lining the UNESCO World Heritage city and past historic places of interest, including the famous Malecón–a broad esplanade, roadway and seawall which stretches along the coast from the mouth of Havana Harbor in Old Havana to the vibrant neighborhood of Vedado. Along the way, runners can take in the sights of the Hotel Nacional de Cuba, the expansive Revolution Square, and Havana's Capitolio (modeled after the U.S. Capitol).
In addition to the marathon, runners will enjoy exclusive people-to-people encounters, which will include memorable meetings with Cuban runners and local residents.
Tour participants will also benefit from the guidance and expertise of RunnersWorld.com columnist and coach, Jenny Hadfield. "It's a historic marathon event and an epic way to journey into the heart of Havana, Cuba," says Hadfield. Coach Jenny has created special marathon training plans and tips tailored to prepare the runners for the Marabana Havana Marathon, and she'll be leading a pre-race shake out run and marathon prep presentations on the tour.
All three Insight Cuba Marathon Tours include:
- Superior accommodations at the Meliá Cohiba in Havana
- Insight Cuba exclusive-guided programming, including insider access to Cuba's famous and rarely seen places, and private visits and lectures with Cuba's renowned experts
- Experienced Insight Cuba tour leader
- All meals while in Cuba, except for two paladar evening dining experiences on your own
- Traditional pre-marathon lunch
- U.S. Department of the Treasury license and Insight Cuba letter of authorization
- Expert Cuban guide
- Training tips from Coach Jenny Hadfield
- Fresh bottled water while touring
- Marabana Havana Marathon and half-marathon entry fee and bib (runners only)
- Arrangement of flight package (cost additional) including; round-trip charter air from Miami to Cuba; priority check-in at Miami International Airport; and baggage fee for first checked bag.
- Medical check-up
- All entrance fees to scheduled activities and events
- Travel health insurance, emergency medical evacuation, and trip cancellation coverage (up to $1,000)
- Insight Cuba guidebook
- 24-hour emergency customer service hotline
Space is limited. For more information on all three Havana Marathon tours and other Insight Cuba tours, visit www.insightcuba.com or call 1-800-450-CUBA (2822).
About Insight Cuba
Insight Cuba is the leading provider and pioneer in legal people-to-people travel for Americans to Cuba. Since its inception in 2000, the organization has sent more than 10,000 participants on hundreds of tours and crafted more than 100 custom group tours. When travel to Cuba was reauthorized for all Americans in 2011, this not-for-profit company (a division of Cross-Cultural Solutions) was the first to bring American travelers back to Cuba. Insight Cuba offers six signature tours, more than 100 departures annually and dozens of custom group tours each year.
SOURCE Insight Cuba