TAMPA, Fla., Nov. 30, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Amscot Financial, a leading provider of convenient, consumer-oriented financial services, recently gave mini-grants to 10 non-profit service organizations in the Florida communities it serves. Mini-grants went to:
- Deaf Literacy Center, Pinellas Public Library Cooperative, Clearwater. The Deaf Literacy Center provides a deaf theater-arts and film-education program, creating cultural awareness opportunities for the deaf community. Participants work with local filmmakers and theater-arts students to create "signed" stories for deaf audiences. For more information, please visit www.pplc.us.
- One Church, One Child of Florida, Tampa. OCOC was founded in Chicago in 1980 and established in Florida in 1988. The organization works to find foster homes and permanent homes for minority children who are wards of the state. The organization plans to take 10 Pinellas County youngsters to see The Chocolate Nutcracker at the Mahaffey Theater on Dec. 15. For more information, please visit: www.ococfl.org.
- Special Olympics of Manatee County, Bradenton. Special Olympics of Manatee County is a local program of Special Olympics Florida, Inc. The group provides sports training and Olympic-style competition to children and adults with intellectual disabilities. For more information, please visit: www.specialolympicsmanatee.org.
- Partnership Response Coalition, Inc., Orlando. This organization works with underprivileged youth in Orange County. It addresses unemployment, health, bridge-building for leadership, networking and feeding the hungry.
- AMIKids Volusia, Daytona Beach. AMIKids is dedicated to providing troubled youth with alternatives that lead to a promising future. The group works with kids to develop responsibility and accountability, and to help them pursue an education. For more information, please visit: www.amikids.org.
- Science Center of Pinellas County, St. Petersburg. The center provides hands-on, after-school training in science, technology, engineering and math for students in grades K-12. The programs include crime-scene forensics, astrophotography and music. For more information, please visit: www.sciencecenterofpinellas.org.
- New Beginnings of Tampa, Inc., Tampa. This group provides mentoring programs and healthy activities for teens and pre-teens in Central and North Tampa.
- Ready for Life, Inc. St. Petersburg. This group works with youth in foster care who are within a year of "aging out" of care. It works to help young adults find housing, transportation, employment and to help them pursue an education. For more information, please visit: www.readyforlifeyouth.com.
- The Children's Home, Inc., Tampa. The Children's Home is a place where children learn to smile and families learn to flourish. The Children's Home annually touches lives of nearly 12,000 children and adults by strengthening families through finding and supporting "forever families" for adopted children, and working to heal the lives of children who have suffered abuse and neglect. The organization's SEARCH program recruits and supports families who are willing to serve as foster parents. For more information, please visit: www.childrenshome.org.
- ReachBack Foundation, Orlando. The mission of the ReachBack Mission is to help homeless and poor inner-city kids and teenage parents and turn them into productive assets to the community. For more information, please visit: www.reachbackfoundation.com.
About Amscot Financial
Headquartered in Tampa, Fla., Amscot Financial is a leading provider of convenient, consumer-oriented financial services, including check cashing, bill payment, money transfers, cash advances and money orders through its business division, Amscot International Money Order Company. Amscot also offers the Amscot Prepaid MasterCard®, a pre-paid debit card that enables owners to make purchases from any location that accepts MasterCard. Amscot Financial currently operates more than 200 retail financial service centers throughout Florida and employs more than 2,000 employees. Amscot Financial has been recognized by the Tampa Bay Business Journal as one of Tampa Bay's Best Places to Work for five years. For additional information, please visit the company's website at www.amscot.com.
SOURCE Amscot Financial