BOSTON, Dec. 16, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Enterprises and public sector organizations are now focusing their efforts on building and deploying custom-built mobile apps for workers, and they're doing so with increased frequency. Apperian® Inc., the mobile application management (MAM®) and security company, today released its newest research – Deploying Mobile Apps That Matter: 2015 Enterprise Mobile App Trend Report – to benchmark enterprise mobility trends. The in-depth study analyzed app data from nearly two million enterprise app deployments across hundreds of thousands of enterprise users. Findings indicate that companies with enterprise mobility initiatives have one or more transformative apps that are streamlining core business process. They're delivering these mobile apps to both internal and extended enterprise users, including contracted workers, business partners and dealers.
"Our research revealed some unexpected, yet actionable insights," said Mark Lorion, Chief Marketing Officer at Apperian. "While there are examples of successful apps deployed across entire enterprises, we've seen some remarkably innovative apps that are fundamentally changing how business is done – even when only one or two apps are deployed to smaller organizations or single teams. We've captured key enterprise mobility trends and are excited to share best practices gleaned from our research."
Key findings from the 2015 Enterprise Mobile App Trend Report include:
Organizations Are Developing Portfolios of Mobile Apps to Serve Their Workforce
- Once an enterprise mobile app program is launched, apps proliferate – in the study, the mean number of apps companies have deployed is up to nearly 35, while the median number is 13. The difference in these numbers indicates some companies have very large app portfolios. The report highlights insights from companies who are deploying as many as several hundred mobile apps across the organization as well as ones with under five apps in their portfolios.
- The report also shows that the number of apps deployed is not the leading indicator of an organization's success, with examples of one or two apps delivering demonstrable business impact and changing how a critical business function is performed.
Technology Organizations Lead in Number of Enterprise Mobile Apps Deployed
- Technology companies, such as semiconductor and computer hardware providers, have the largest number of apps deployed and account for 26 percent of companies with enterprise mobility programs analyzed in Apperian's study.
- IT Services and Consulting organizations were second with 11.1 percent of total apps deployed, followed by Public Sector (11 percent) and Financial Services (8.4 percent), Healthcare (7.4 percent), Communications (6.3 percent) and others.
Enterprise Mobile Apps Tend to Be Function - Rather Than Industry-Related or Company-Wide
- The majority of enterprise apps are developed for mobile-oriented business roles, such as Sales and Marketing (17.7 percent) and Field Services (15.3 percent), followed by company-wide apps that bring utility to the majority of workers: HR (14 percent), Office Productivity (11.8 percent) and IT Utilities (11.5 percent).
- The published report highlights specific apps in each category and additional details on what functionality those custom apps are delivering.
- The single most frequently downloaded custom app across the entire study is an expense management app, used by a multi-national bank, with nearly 36 thousand downloads.
In a separate survey of 1,200 people, Apperian found that 71 percent of workers are accessing company information on mobile for at least two hours a week, with 36.5 percent accessing it for more than five hours. While nearly half of respondents said mobile apps would help them get work done better, for 41 percent of workers, organizations do not provide them with apps.
Best Practices to Driving Secure Adoption of Enterprise Mobile Apps
The report features best practices gleaned from the study and from empirical information collected by the Apperian research team. The report highlights a set of best practices that, when followed, lead to successful enterprise mobility projects.
- Mobile project sponsors in the organization must act as the "general manager" and drive all aspects surrounding the app, including app functionality, end-user promotions, support processes and help desk, user feedback, and the financials around the app.
- Prioritize ideas for "apps that matter" by business impact to specific user segments and rapidly develop them and iterate using agile development methods.
- Apps must be easy to find, intuitive to use and aligned by user role.
- App usage analytics should be available and used to track and drive adoption.
To read the complete Apperian 2015 Enterprise Mobile App Trend Report, see findings that are an industry first, and learn practical methods for enabling your workforce with apps that matter, visit https://www.apperian.com/resources/2015-enterprise-mobile-app-trend-report/.
The 2015 Apperian Enterprise Mobile App Trend Report analyzed app data from Apperian's data warehouse of nearly two million mobile app installations since 2011 to provide insights into how organizations are using mobility and developing "apps that matter." The study was comprised of thousands of organizations, ranging in size from multi-national corporations, public sector organizations, mid-market and smaller companies. Those organizations also represent a broad a range of industries, including technology, business services/consulting, communications, retail, healthcare, the public sector, manufacturing, financial services, energy and more.
Apperian is the leading enterprise-class mobile application management (MAM®) and security platform for the delivery of critical apps to 100% of users across an organization. Apperian provides fine-grained security and dynamic policy controls at the individual app level for deployments where mobile device management approaches are not possible or desired, such as BYOD, contract workers and other unmanaged devices.
Apperian's easy to use interface offers a private, branded consumer-like enterprise app store that greatly increases mobile app adoption and a comprehensive app management back-end for administrators to easily protect and manage their business apps and data. The company has helped IT and line of business professionals secure and deliver more than 1.7 million enterprise apps to organizations such as Maxim Integrated Products, NVIDIA, Nationwide, New Balance, and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
Apperian is headquartered in Boston with teams throughout the U.S., Europe, and Asia. For more information please visit http://bit.ly/ApperianLearnMore or follow the company on Twitter at @Apperian and LinkedIn at Apperian, Inc.
SOURCE Apperian Inc.