NEW GLOUCESTER, Maine, Nov. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The Iberdrola USA Foundation, in conjunction with Fundacion Iberdrola is now accepting scholarship applications for master's studies in energy and/or the environment at the University of Rochester and the University of Maine for the 2015/2016 academic year.
The Iberdrola Scholarship Program is open to graduate students who wish to pursue master's level work in renewable energy, environmental protection, climate change, and energy efficiency. Global energy leader, Iberdrola S.A., established the scholarship program in 2010. The grants cover full tuition, health & accident insurance, and a $25,200 annual stipend for other expenses.
To obtain more information or to apply, please visit the Foundation scholarship website. Candidates should submit an application to one of the two universities before applying for the scholarship. The scholarship application deadline is 8:00 a.m. EST, February 13, 2015.
"Iberdrola and Iberdrola USA are very proud to support this next generation of renewable energy leaders," said Bob Kump, chief corporate officer for Iberdrola USA. "These Iberdrola scholarships are another example of our global commitment to advancing sustainable energy solutions through investments, research, education and technology."
The following Energy and Environment Postgraduate Studies scholarship recipients will receive a total of nearly $350,000 to conduct research in Scotland, Maine and New York for the 2014/2015 academic year:
University of Edinburgh – Edinburgh, Scotland
- Samuel John Kuhlin – Kalispell, Montana – Master's of Science in Sustainable Energy Systems – (Funded by Iberdrola USA Foundation)
University of Maine – Orono, ME
- Luis Badesa Bernardo – Calatayud, Spain – Master's of Science in Electrical Engineering – (Funded by Fundacion Iberdrola)
- Danielle MacDonald – Caribou, Maine – Master's of Science in Civil Engineering – (Funded by Iberdrola USA Foundation)
- Javier Moreno de Salas – Aravaca, Madrid, Spain – Master's of Science in Mechanical Engineering – (Funded by Fundacion Iberdrola)
University of Rochester – Rochester, NY
- Chantel Gaudet – Bedford, New Hampshire – Master's of Science in Chemical Engineering – (Funded by Iberdrola USA Foundation)
- Nuria Cortes Moradell – Zaragoza, Spain – Master's of Science in Electrical Engineering – (Funded by Fundacion Iberdrola)
- Hector de la Torre Casado – Burgos, Spain – Master's of Science in Alternative Energy – (Funded by Fundacion Iberdrola)
"I view this award as an opportunity to pursue my passion for sustainable energy engineering at one of the world's leading institutes," said Samuel Kuhlin. "I could not be more grateful toward the Iberdrola USA Foundation; for they have truly granted me a life-altering opportunity."
"The Iberdrola scholarship has permitted me to really immerse myself in my research," said Chantel Gaudet. "Their gracious support has given me confidence that I now will have an impactful career and can truly make a difference."
"The Iberdrola Fellowship will enable me to broaden my knowledge of power and smart grid technologies – which have untapped potential for creating a major transformation in the energy distribution industry," said Nuria Cortes Moradell.
"Global energy consumption will grow exponentially in the near future, and the political implications will be enormous. This scholarship is allowing me to work on one of my dreams - to design and develop the energy of the future: clean, efficient, sustainable, universal and affordable," said Hector de la Torre Casado.
About the Iberdrola Fundacion Scholarship Program
Since the program's inception in 2010, Iberdrola has extended its scope from Spain to the United Kingdom, United States, Mexico as well as Brazil, and has tripled the number of scholarships awarded – to 100 in 2014. This program is currently funding master's level research in renewable energy, energy efficiency, biodiversity, clean technologies, gas emission management, energy storage, electric vehicles and intelligent networks at Spanish, Scottish and American universities.
About The Iberdrola USA Foundation
In collaboration with Iberdrola USA and Fundacion Iberdrola, The Iberdrola USA Foundation puts energy into what really matters and supports initiatives that enhance the quality of life where Iberdrola USA and its subsidiaries operate. For more information, please visit our website: http://bit.ly/IUSAFound.
About Iberdrola USA
The U.S. subsidiary of global energy leader Iberdrola, S.A. - with three main business units in the United States:
- Iberdrola USA Networks, Inc. operates from New York to New Hampshire to Maine, safely delivering natural gas and/or electricity to nearly three million customers through its five operating companies: Central Maine Power, Maine Natural Gas, New Hampshire Gas, New York State Electric & Gas and Rochester Gas and Electric.
- Iberdrola Renewables is leading the transformation to a competitive, clean energy future. With nearly 5,500 MW of owned wind and solar generation operating from coast to coast, Iberdrola Renewables is an energy pioneer with the second-largest renewable fleet in America and part of a global fleet that has the largest renewable asset base of any company in the world.
- Iberdrola Energy Holdings is one of the top independent gas storage operators and gas traders in the country with more than 130 billion cubic feet of gas storage and an energy services trading floor in Houston and Salt Lake City
The Iberdrola USA companies employ about 5,000 people with operations in 24 states from New England to the West Coast. For more information, please visit our website: www.iberdrolausa.com .
Follow us on Twitter: @IberdrolaUSA
SOURCE Iberdrola USA