DES MOINES, Iowa, Nov. 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Whether you're an avid holiday shopper who spends weeks creating an action plan, or the type who reluctantly does everything just under the wire, staying safe while shopping for the holidays is serious business.
"From Black Friday on, consumers need to be more aware of their personal safety," says Ann Cosimano, General Counsel for ARAG®, a leader in legal insurance. "Whether you're online, at a crowded store or in the parking lot, take precautions, such as these offered by the National Crime Prevention Council,¹ to keep you, your finances and your family safe."
- Consider all that you're buying and how you'll get it to your vehicle. If you buy more than you can carry, you make yourself potentially vulnerable by becoming fatigued, plus you make yourself more visible to potential thieves. Plan ahead and arrange for a friend or store employee to help you take packages to your car.
- If you shop online, choose companies you know and trust. Check the background of any company you're not familiar with. And remember – if any deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Save all your receipts. Along with needing them for returns, it's also a good idea to confirm your purchases against your credit card or bank statement.
- Protect your credit card and checking account information, especially as you stand in line to pay. Crowded stores can be an easy place for someone to steal your information, just by looking over your shoulder.
- If you shop with children, rehearse what you will do in case you get separated. Make sure everyone understands where the central meeting place is and to ask mall personnel or store security employees if they need help.
Enrolling in a legal plan is another way to protect yourself in a number of consumer-related situations ranging from identity theft to credit issues. These types of plans, which are offered by providers like ARAG, give members peace of mind knowing that they'll have immediate access to professional services and resources when a legal need arises. For more information, visit ARAGgroup.com. For additional shopping tips and personal safety information, visit the National Crime Prevention Council's website at ncpc.org.
ARAG ® (www.ARAGgroup.com) is a leader in legal insurance. It provides people with affordable and reliable legal counsel for everyday life matters. The company has an international premium base of more than $2 billion and protects 15.5 million individuals and their families – worldwide. We give you the freedom and control to embrace life's opportunities.
ARAG's North American headquarters are based in Des Moines, Iowa. We've earned the prestigious Center of Excellence Award for eight consecutive years (2007-2014) and have been named a Top 100 Call Center by BenchMark Portal for four consecutive years (2011-2014), continuing our track record of industry-leading customer service. ARAG team members voted ARAG a Best Places to Work in Insurance (2009-2013).
For more news and information about ARAG visit ARAGgroup.com.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/arag-offers-five-tips-to-stay-safe-on-black-friday-300000444.html