PHILADELPHIA, Aug. 29, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Serving more than 3 million higher education students each school year, Aramark (NYSE: ARMK), the award-winning food and facilities partner on more than 500 campuses, is welcoming students back to school with new plant-based menu items and solutions to assist students with dietary restrictions or those following special diets.
Gen Z college students expect the modern lifestyle they know and love will carry over into their campus experience. Aramark's team of more than 500 chefs and registered dietitians develop menu items using flavors and food trends from around the world, in-depth research and healthy, fresh and authentic ingredients, to meet the ever-changing needs of students.
"Aramark's chefs and dietitians keep their fingers on the pulse of students' on-campus dining preferences. That knowledge, coupled with current food trends, provides solid direction for menu planning for the upcoming school year," said Pat Boggs, president of Aramark's Higher Education business. "With 64% of students agreeing healthy eating is an important part of their lives1, it was important that health be a driving force behind what's new on campus this fall."
Packing a Punch with Plant-Based Ingredients
Vegetarian and vegan items account for more than 30 percent of main dishes served on the menus of the campuses Aramark serves. Aramark's culinarians have developed great tasting vegetarian and vegan menu items for the new school year. These delicious tasting plant-based recipes have added health benefits and provide creative menu solutions for the students looking for meatless options.
Some highlights include:
- Buffalo Cauliflower Pizza - Roasted Buffalo cauliflower, mozzarella cheese, diced celery, crumbly blue and Buffalo ranch dressing
- Pineapple Chipotle Black Bean Burger - Vegan black bean burger topped with pineapple salsa, lettuce, tomato and chipotle mayonnaise on a whole grain bun
- Vegan Chick'n Tagine - Moroccan vegan stew with vegetables, chickpeas, raisins, olives, almonds, savory tomato broth
- Overnight Apples 'N' Oats - Oats with nonfat Greek yogurt, fresh apples, dried cranberries, cinnamon & brown sugar
- Beet and Lentil burger- Fresh shredded beets blended with lentils, brown rice, onion, garlic and spices
- Lentil Falafel Pita Cone- Pita cone filled with crispy lentil falafel, lettuce, tomato, diced cucumber and tzatziki sauce
- Vegan Mayonnaise – Aquafaba, the little known ingredient making waves in the vegan scene, will now be incorporated into Aramark's menu, providing creamy, tangy, delicious new options. The liquid from canned garbanzo beans, Aquafaba will be used in salad dressings, condiments, slaws and more.
Innovative Solutions for Students with Food Allergies
Aramark's mission of enriching and nourishing lives goes beyond just the food being served. The company is committed to making on-campus dining locations safe and inclusive spaces for all students. The following have been introduced to meet the needs of consumers with food allergies or those following special diets.
- True Balance is Aramark's allergen solutions station. Developed over the past 18 months, the True Balance program was created to meet the needs of consumers with food allergies. The menu was designed to eliminate 7 of the top 8 most common food allergens, in addition to gluten, and provide a dedicated residential dining station and offering that is comprised of recipes that do not contain eggs, gluten, milk, peanuts, shellfish, soy, tree nuts or wheat.
Restaurant Rotation is a program featuring proprietary branded concepts and on-trend menus that deliver a one-of-a-kind pop-up culinary experience in campus cafes. Quality and personalization are the focus of these concepts whose menus showcase three signature recipes and a "create your own dish" experience that brings to life the personalization component.
The newest concepts being introduced this fall include the following, which join 12 other Restaurant Rotation concepts already in rotation on campuses.
- OLILO by Cat Cora, featuring signature Mediterranean tastes and flavors from the TV personality, author, restaurateur and lifestyle entrepreneur. The menu includes super greens, grain blends, flatbreads and quinoa tabbouleh with choices of protein, homemade spreads, toppings and dressing.
- O-Mori, specialty ramen, invites students to build on a noodle base with a selection of flavored broths, veggies and proteins.
#CRAMcarts Wheel onto Campus
#CRAMcart is designed to provide students with a study break and an energy boost, free of charge, during finals. Implemented on a mobile cart placed in high-traffic areas, #CRAMcart is promoted primarily through social media and offers complimentary snacks, beverages, and games, so students can take a breather between cramming sessions.
Aramark (NYSE: ARMK) proudly serves Fortune 500 companies, world champion sports teams, state-of-the-art healthcare providers, the world's leading educational institutions, iconic destinations and cultural attractions, and numerous municipalities in 19 countries around the world. Our 270,000 team members deliver experiences that enrich and nourish millions of lives every day through innovative services in food, facilities management and uniforms. We operate our business with social responsibility, focusing on initiatives that support our diverse workforce, advance consumer health and wellness, protect our environment, and strengthen our communities. Aramark is recognized as one of the World's Most Admired Companies by FORTUNE, as well as an employer of choice by the Human Rights Campaign and DiversityInc. Learn more at www.aramark.com or connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.
1 Aramark DiningStyles Fall 2016 Survey of 131,518 students