SACRAMENTO, Calif., March 24, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Assemblyman Travis Allen (R-Huntington Beach) and Assemblyman Matt Dababneh (D-Encino) announce a large group of supporters bolstering the bipartisan, national support for Assembly Bill 1552, and the list of supporters continues to grow. AB 1552 is the only bipartisan bill in California to end taxpayer funding for the discriminatory Boycott, Divest, and Sanction (BDS) movement against Israel.
"The fight against discrimination is a non-partisan issue that unites Californians from all sides of the political spectrum. I am honored to have such overwhelming support on this historic, bipartisan legislation," said Assemblyman Travis Allen. "California and Israel have historically stood together as allies due to our unique bond founded on shared values, a strong bilateral trade relationship, and our unwavering commitment to freedom and democracy. As the 7th largest economy in the world, the nation is looking to California to end discrimination against our key ally, Israel. The time is now to come together behind AB 1552 and join the movement to defeat anti-Semitism and hate speech across our nation."
"I am co-authoring Assembly Bill 1552 to make sure California sends a clear message that taxpayer funded state contracts will not go to organizations or companies that engage in discrimination against U.S. Democratic allies, especially Israel. In our business relationships, California must avoid giving the appearance of endorsing organizations that seek to harm our close allies or further discriminatory agendas like the BDS movement, and this bipartisan legislation, AB 1552, sends a strong message that California will not support such discriminatory or anti-Semitic efforts," said Assemblyman Matt Dababneh.
- John A. Perez (D, AD-53), Speaker Emeritus of the California State Assembly
- Congressman Ed Royce (R, CA-39), Chairman of House Committee on Foreign Affairs
- Congressman Trent Frank (R, AZ-8), Co-Chair of the Israel Allies Caucus
- Congressman Juan Vargas (D, CA-51), Author, HR 4514 - The Combating BDS Act of 2016
- Congressman Brad Sherman (D, CA-30)
- Congressman Darrell Issa (R, CA-49)
- Fiona Ma, Chairwoman, California Board of Equalization
- Roz Rothstein, CEO, Stand with Us
- EJ Kimball, Executive Director, Israel Allies Foundation
- Scott Feltman, Executive Vice President, One Israel Fund
- Kevin Dieckilman, CEO, One Heart for Israel
- Rabbi Denise L. Eger, Congregation Kol Ami West Hollywood, President, Central Conference of American Rabbis
- Rabbi Kalman Topp, Beth Jacob Congregation
- Rabbi Michael Barclay, Temple Ner Simcha
- Cantor Kerith Spencer Shapiro, University Synagogue
AB 1552 is the only bi-partisan anti-BDS legislation in California with a growing list of co-authors. Principal Co-Author Assemblyman Matt Dababneh (D), Assemblyman Mike Gatto (D), Senator Jeff Stone (R) (Jewish Caucus Member), Assemblyman Bill Brough (R), Assemblyman David Hadley (R), Assemblyman Rocky Chavez (R), Assemblyman Katcho Achadjian (R), Assemblyman Eric Linder(R) (Jewish Caucus Member), Senator Joel Anderson (R).
CONTACT: Stephanie Freedman
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/assemblyman-travis-allen-and-assemblyman-matt-dababneh-announce-broad-national-support-for-ab-1552-to-end-the-boycott-of-israel-in-california-300240969.html
SOURCE Assemblyman Travis Allen