Leadership will focus on education, advocacy, and safe practices in the operating room
DENVER, April 13, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Association of periOperative Registered Nurses (AORN) membership has elected its Board of Directors for the 2011-2012 term. The board members were inducted into office at the AORN annual Congress on March 23 in Philadelphia.
The election also marked the beginning of the term for Anne Marie Herlehy, DNP, RN, CNOR of Chicago as Association president replacing Charlotte Guglielmi, RN, BSN, MA, CNOR. Herlehy, administrative director for Perioperative and Cardiovascular Services at Alexian Brothers Medical Center and a faculty member at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, joined AORN in 1997. She completed her Doctorate of Nursing Practice at Rush University in 2009, obtained a Master of Science degree in Nursing Administration from DePaul University in 1997, and completed her undergraduate nursing studies at Rush University in 1993.
AORN, representing the interests of more than 160,000 perioperative nurses, provides nursing education, standards, and practice resources, including the peer-reviewed monthly publication AORN Journal, to enable optimal outcomes for patients undergoing operative and other invasive procedures. AORN's 40,000 registered nurse members facilitate the management, teaching, and practice of perioperative nursing, are enrolled in nursing education or engaged in perioperative research. Board elections are conducted annually.
The complete AORN election results are as follows:
- Deborah G. Spratt, MPA, BSN, RN, CNOR, NEA-BC is the president-elect. She is chief of sterile processing at the Canandaigua VAMC in Canandaigua, N.Y.
- Rosemarie Schroeder, RN, BSN, CNOR, is re-elected vice-president. A member of AORN since 1980, she is director of Surgical Services at St. Joseph's Hospital with Ministry Health Care in Marshfield, Wis.
- Jane A. Kusler-Jensen, MBA, BSN, RN, CNOR is re-elected secretary. She is the executive director of the Orthopedic Hospital of Wisconsin.
- Anne Fairchild, RN, BSN, MS, CNOR continues as treasurer. Fairchild is an independent perioperative consultant and CEO of Vanguard Enterprises, LLC, Tulsa, Okla.
- Martha Stratton, MSN, RN, CNOR, NEA-BC was elected to the AORN Board of Directors. She is the director of Surgical Services for AnMed Health System in Anderson, S.C.
- Annette Wasielewski, BSN, RN, CNOR was elected to the AORN Board of Directors. She is a consultant for minimally invasive surgery (MIS), robotics and bariatrics.
Continuing on the AORN board for the 2011-2012 term are: Victoria Steelman, PhD, RN, CNOR, FAAN, Department of Veterans' Affairs, Iowa City, Iowa, Renae N. Battie, MN, RN, CNOR, Franciscan Health System, Tacoma, Wash., Denise Jackson, MSN, RN, CNS-BC, CRNFA, Shannon Medical Center/Shannon Clinic, San Angelo, Tex., Darin Prescott, MSN, MBA, RN, BC, CNOR, CASC, St. Cloud Hospital, St. Cloud, Minn., and David Wyattm /bsn, MA, MPH, CNOR, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tenn.
Reporters: for detailed biographies, photographs and election policies, visit www.aorn.org
SOURCE Association of periOperative Registered Nurses