DALLAS, Jan. 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- From the stage of the AT&T Developer Summit in Las Vegas, AT&T* today outlined a new Call Management API offering developers the ability to create applications using an individual's AT&T mobile number to access multiple devices.
- The company also announced a new Alpha API Program, designed to bring innovative APIs to market quicker through increased collaboration and openness with the developer community.
- Additionally, AT&T announced that effective today, developers will get one million API calls per month on the AT&T API Platform, for just $99 per year -- a great value.
- The 2013 AT&T Developer Summit is expected to include over 2,500 attendees. The AT&T Developer Program added almost 12,000 members in 2012.
- All news releases and related multimedia content from the 2013 AT&T Developer Summit, including a live or archived webcast, are available at www.att.com/newsroom.
AT&T Call Management API
Announced on stage by AT&T Mobility Chief Marketing Officer David Christopher, the AT&T Call Management API signifies a step towards a world where customers' existing mobile numbers are no longer tied to a single device and is designed to make it easy for developers to add real-time, voice and text communications to web and mobile apps.
Currently in Alpha status, this API is powered by Voxeo Labs' Tropo Platform and Ericsson's IMS Innovation Platform, and is based on WebRTC, which will enable browsers to conduct real-time communications, such as voice calling or video chats.
Alpha API Program
AT&T's API platform is designed to give developers access to network and cloud resources to enhance their apps. To further this mission, AT&T announced a new Alpha API program to allow developers to offer ideas for new APIs. As a result, APIs will be able to be sponsored into Alpha from third parties to increase collaboration and innovation.
APIs already available on a "proof of concept" basis include:
- Text to Text Translation API: Based on the AT&T Watson™ speech recognition engine, this API will let apps translate spoken Spanish words into English text and vice versa. This Alpha API, in combination with others on the AT&T API Platform, will enable developers' apps to auto-translate things like text messages and emails.
- Customer Profile API: This API can be used to make it easier and faster for customers to make purchases via mobile apps by securely auto-populating a purchase form with a subscriber's address and personal information after opting in.
AT&T API Platform Updates
Building on the success of its new API platform announced last year, AT&T announced a series of new API features and enhancements to the platform:
- Pricing: Beginning today, for $99 per year, developers will get one million API calls per month on the AT&T API Platform. Should a developer exceed one million API calls in a month, they pay at the rate of only a penny per call. A great value to developers, AT&T's pricing structure further demonstrates AT&T's commitment to the success of the developer community.
- Availability: Beginning today, AT&T is making its current APIs available to tens of millions of additional developers through toolkits available through: Microsoft® Visual Studio®, Salesforce® Platform, IBM® Worklight®, Appcelerator® Titanium® and Adobe® PhoneGap® platforms.
- Advertising: AT&T plans to add an Advertising API during the first quarter to assist developers to add advertising and monetize their applications. It will feature an introductory revenue share, with 80 percent of advertising revenue to the developer.
2012 Developer Program Highlights
In 2012, the AT&T Developer Program added almost 12,000 members for a current total of 31,000, and launched the first DevLab by AT&T, a training event attended by more than 200 developers. AT&T also held 28 hackathons in 2012, with more than 3,000 developers participating, including an "It Can Wait" Hackathon, to create apps geared toward stopping texting while driving.
More than 1,000 developers have downloaded AT&T's Application Resource Optimizer (ARO), a tool introduced in 2012 which tests how efficiently an app interacts with the wireless network. ARO was open-sourced by AT&T in June and today, ARO is expanding to Windows 8 developers through the Visual Studios Gallery.
"The best customer experience comes from the combination of great devices and the nation's largest 4G network– with the best apps and services running on them," Christopher said. "Today's developer summit and our API platform announcements are proof that AT&T is firmly committed to the support and success of developers."
*AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.
AT&T Inc. (NYSE : T ) is a premier communications holding company and one of the most honored companies in the world. Its subsidiaries and affiliates – AT&T operating companies – are the providers of AT&T services in the United States and internationally. With a powerful array of network resources that includes the nation's largest 4G network, AT&T is a leading provider of wireless, Wi-Fi, high speed Internet, voice and cloud-based services. A leader in mobile Internet, AT&T also offers the best wireless coverage worldwide of any U.S. carrier, offering the most wireless phones that work in the most countries. It also offers advanced TV services under the AT&T U-verse® and AT&T │DIRECTV brands. The company's suite of IP-based business communications services is one of the most advanced in the world.
Additional information about AT&T Inc. and the products and services provided by AT&T subsidiaries and affiliates is available at http://www.att.com. This AT&T news release and other announcements are available at http://www.att.com/newsroom and as part of an RSS feed at www.att.com/rss. Or follow our news on Twitter at @ATT.
© 2013 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. 4G not available everywhere. AT&T, the AT&T logo and all other marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies. All other marks contained herein are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE AT&T Inc.