DALLAS, Nov. 2, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The AT&T Foundation today announced $250,000 in grants to organizations providing Hurricane Sandy relief and care efforts in four hard-hit states. The grant recipients are:
- $100,000 to the Community Food Bank of New Jersey
- $50,000 to the Food Bank for New York City
- $50,000 to Long Island Cares, Inc.
- $25,000 to the Connecticut chapter of the American Red Cross
- $15,000 to Jonnycake Center of Westerly Rhode Island
- $10,000 to the MLK Community Center in Rhode Island
The local grants build on a $250,000 national grant to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief fund, bringing to $500,000 AT&T's total grants for Hurricane Sandy relief. The grants are in addition to AT&T's broad-based and growing Hurricane Sandy restoration and care efforts, which include:
- Charging Stations: AT&T is working with Mayor Michael Bloomberg and the City of New York to quickly deploy generator-driven charging stations and RVs with charging capabilities for New Yorkers at local Food and Water Stations being set up throughout the five boroughs. In addition, people in affected areas are invited to visit any of AT&T's approximately 400 retail store locations now open through the Northeast to charge their devices. Details on open stores and temporary/mobile charging stations will be posted as soon as available at att.com/aboutus.
- Text-to-Pledge: AT&T wireless customers can make a $10 donation for Hurricane Sandy relief by texting to the following non-profit organizations:
- REDCROSS to 90999 to support the American Red Cross
- STORM to 80888 to help the Salvation Army
- HUMANE to 80888 to give to the American Humane Society
Customers who would like to contribute more can text up to five times for a total donation of $50. One hundred percent of any donation will be paid to the customer's designated charity and the customer will be charged for the donation via the customer's monthly AT&T bill.
- Late Payment Support: AT&T will extend the late-payment window for wireless and wireline customers who are behind, waive late payment fees and will not disconnect services because of non-payment.
- Employee Support: The AT&T Foundation administers a Disaster Relief Fund through which AT&T employees can assist fellow employees impacted by this storm and other qualified disasters. Additionally, AT&T provides employees with the ability to assist others by contributing to charities like the American Red Cross. Employees already have pledged more than $180,000 to Hurricane Sandy relief.
- Restoration: AT&T's disaster response team has been fully engaged and making progress in restoring wireless and wireline services. We have thousands of employees, including personnel from surrounding states, working around the clock to restore service. Updates on restoration efforts are available att.com/newsroom.
"We applaud and support the great work being done by these organizations to help people in hard-hit states," said AT&T Foundation President Beth Shiroishi. "We're honored to join them in the recovery and care effort through our giving and our work in the affected communities."
AT&T and the AT&T Foundation have contributed more than $6 million to American Red Cross and regional affiliates for disaster relief efforts in the past 10 years, providing support for individuals and communities impacted by hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes and other natural disasters.
*AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.
AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) is a premier communications holding company and one of the most honored companies in the world. Its subsidiaries and affiliates – AT&T operating companies – are the providers of AT&T services in the United States and around the world. With a powerful array of network resources that includes the nation's largest 4G network, AT&T is a leading provider of wireless, Wi-Fi, high speed Internet, voice and cloud-based services. A leader in mobile Internet, AT&T also offers the best wireless coverage worldwide of any U.S. carrier, offering the most wireless phones that work in the most countries. It also offers advanced TV services under the AT&T U-verse® and AT&T | DIRECTV brands. The company's suite of IP-based business communications services is one of the most advanced in the world.
Additional information about AT&T Inc. and the products and services provided by AT&T subsidiaries and affiliates is available at http://www.att.com. This AT&T news release and other announcements are available at http://www.att.com/newsroom and as part of an RSS feed at www.att.com/rss. Or follow our news on Twitter at @ATT.
© 2012 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. 4G not available everywhere. AT&T, the AT&T logo and all other marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies.
About Philanthropy at AT&T AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) is committed to advancing education, strengthening communities and improving lives. Through its philanthropic initiatives, AT&T has a long history of supporting projects that create learning opportunities; promote academic and economic achievement; and address community needs. In 2011, more than $115 million was contributed through corporate-, employee- and AT&T Foundation-giving programs.
SOURCE AT&T Foundation