NEW YORK, Oct. 21 /PRNewswire/ -- Barneys New York (Barneys), a luxury specialty retailer, announced today its upcoming national holiday campaign "Have a Foodie Holiday," Barneys' celebration of foodie culture. Barneys, in partnership with Food Network, Cooking Channel, and illycaffe, will kick off the holiday season with the unveiling of the Madison Avenue flagship's windows on Tuesday, November 16th.
Inspired by the passion and creativity of foodie culture, the displays at the Madison Avenue flagship will feature caricatures of famous chefs - a virtual pantheon of celebrity culinary icons. The tableaus will include:
- The Bad Boys – everyone from Mario Batali and Bobby Flay to Jean-Georges Vongerichten and Barneys' own Mark Strausman, chef at Fred's.
- The Gals – renowned females from Lidia Bastianich and Sylvia Weinstock to Rachael Ray and Paula Deen.
- A Revolutionary Stew – with historic trailblazers and aromatic geniuses, everyone from Julia Child to Jamie Oliver.
- Miss Illy - homage to illycaffe featuring a voluminous modern diva bursting out of her coffee tin dress.
Also on display will be paintings by students from The East Harlem School who were asked to portray their favorite chef. The artworks will be for sale with 100 percent of the proceeds benefiting the school.
In tandem with the unveiling of Barneys' Madison Avenue holiday windows, the retailer will celebrate with Lee Brian Schrager, founder and director of both the Food Network South Beach and New York City Wine & Food Festivals; who also collaborated with Barneys on the "Have a Foodie Holiday" theme, the exclusive launch of his book Food Network South Beach Wine & Food Festival Cookbook: Recipes and Behind-the-Scenes Stories from America's Hottest Chefs (Clarkson Potter, November 2010; $35/hardcover).
Barneys' flagship stores in Beverly Hills, Chicago, Seattle, Boston, San Francisco, Dallas, Las Vegas, and Scottsdale will also join in the Foodie Holiday celebration, decking the halls with giant wreaths and garlands made from vintage cookware, iconic illycaffe imagery, and incorporating portraits and references to national as well as local celebrity chefs.
In addition, Barneys also announced the following holiday details today:
- Barneys' holiday catalogue will feature the work of two famous photographers. In New York Magnus Unnar photographed model Kirsi Pyrhonen on location in Iron Chef America's Kitchen Stadium at Food Network. In Japan, legendary photographer Nobuyoshi Araki photographed actress Kiko Mizuhara. The catalogue also features original drawings of celebrity chefs by Todd Selby.
- Limited edition Barneys gift cards featuring photos by Nobuyoshi Araki will be available during the holiday season.
- Barneys.com will present original content during the holidays including an enhanced digital version of the holiday catalogue and special videos, including interviews of celebrity chefs by Simon Doonan.
- Barneys will also support the holiday theme with national print and online campaigns.
- Barneys New York's philanthropic efforts for "Have a Foodie Holiday" will benefit the Food Bank For New York City, one of the country's largest food banks. In addition to its own contribution, Barneys has enlisted many of its designers to make donations to Food Bank For New York City. Barneys New York will also be supporting Food Bank For New York City's text-to-donate campaign during the holidays. For more information on Food Bank For New York City please visit www.foodbanknyc.org.
- Simon Doonan, Barneys' creative director, will appear as a guest judge on a holiday-themed episode of Food Network's Iron Chef America airing Sunday, December 5th at 10pm ET/PT.
- Food Network will promote the campaign across its media assets including exclusive behind-the-scenes video of "Making of Foodie Holiday Windows" at foodnetwork.com.
- Illy's revolutionary new X1 iperEspresso machine will be featured in the Barneys holiday catalogue, available in select stores and on Barneys.com.
- Illy will be providing complimentary espresso and cappuccino on the 9th Floor of Barneys' Madison Avenue flagship throughout the holiday season. Illy's Master Barista Giorgio Milos will be making special appearances during the month of December.
About Food Network
FOOD NETWORK (www.foodnetwork.com) is a unique lifestyle network, website and magazine that connects viewers to the power and joy of food. The network strives to be viewers' best friend in food and is committed to leading by teaching, inspiring and empowering through its talent and expertise. Food Network is distributed to more than 99 million U.S. households and averages more than 9.9 million unique web users monthly. Since launching in 2009, Food Network Magazine has tripled its rate base and delivers a circulation of 1.25 million. Headquartered in New York, Food Network has a growing international presence with programming in more than 150 countries, including 24 hour networks in Great Britain, India, Asia and Africa. Scripps Networks Interactive (NYSE: SNI), which also owns and operates HGTV (www.hgtv.com), DIY Network (www.diynetwork.com), Great American Country (www.gactv.com) and Cooking Channel (www.cookingchanneltv.com) is the manager and general partner.
ILLYCAFFE is the world's finest Italian coffee and a leader in quality, innovation, and technology. A third-generation Italian coffee company, illy is the number one European imported coffee brand in North America. Based in Trieste, Italy, illycaffe produces and markets a unique blend of coffee as the single brand leader in quality coffee and gives coffee connoisseurs an overall authentic Italian coffee experience. Illy is available in more than 50,000 of the finest restaurants and coffee bars and is sold in over 140 countries around the world, serving more than 6 million cups of illy coffee per day. Globally, illy employs more than 700 people. Illy buys green coffee of the highest quality Arabica directly from the growers through partnerships based on the mutual creation of value. The Italian-based company fosters long-term collaborations with the world's finest coffee growers – in Brazil, Central America, India and Africa – providing know-how and technology and offering above-market prices.
About Barneys New York
BARNEYS NEW YORK (Barneys) is a luxury specialty retailer with flagship stores in New York City, Beverly Hills, Chicago, Seattle, Boston, Dallas, San Francisco, Las Vegas, and Scottsdale. Founded as a men's retailer in 1923 in downtown Manhattan it turned into an international arbiter of high style for both women and men in the 1970s and became renowned for discovering and developing new and innovative design talent. Barneys is famous for selling the most intriguing edit from the world's top designers including women's and men's ready-to-wear, accessories, shoes, jewelry, cosmetics, fragrances, and gifts for the home. Barneys flagship store interiors are easily recognized by the unique juxtaposition of whimsical displays with a sophisticated gallery-like environment. Barneys' signature sense of humor and style is manifested in its creative advertising campaigns, original holiday themes, and celebrated window displays. Barneys' innovative and hip CO-OP, a mecca for young and emerging designers, was launched in 1985 and has since expanded into a freestanding store concept. Barneys operates more than a
dozen CO-OP stores in eight states across the U.S. For more information about Barneys New York please visit www.Barneys.com.
Note to Editors:
Below is a comprehensive list of the celebrity culinary icons whose likenesses will appear in the windows at Barneys New York, Madison Avenue.
Grant Achatz, Jody Adams, Ferran Adria, Sunny Anderson, Jose Andres, Donatella Arpaia, Dan Barber, Lidia Bastianich, Mario Batali, James Beard, Michelle Bernstein, John Besh, April Bloomfield, Daniel Boulud, Anthony Bourdain, Jimmy Bradley, Margaret Braun, Anne Burrell, Andrew Carmellini, Julia Child, Melissa Clark, Tom Colicchio, Scott Conant, Cat Cora, Dana Cowin, Paula Deen, Alain Ducasse, Wylie Dufresne, Todd English, Barbara Fairchild, Guy Fieri, Bobby Flay, Ina Garten, Duff Goldman, Alex Guarnaschelli, Madhur Jaffrey, Thomas Keller, Gabriel Kreuther, Emeril Lagasse, Adam Perry Lang, Nigella Lawson, Sandra Lee, Anita Lo, Nobu Matsuhisa, Masaharu Morimoto, Jamie Oliver, Francois Payard, Jacques Pepin, Colette Peters, Alfred Portale, Wolfgang Puck, Rachael Ray, Ruth Reichl, Eric Ripert, Missy Robbins, Claire Robinson, Marcus Samuelsson, Gail Simmons, Martha Stewart, Mark Strausman, Michael Symon, Jacques Torres, Laurent Tourondel, Jean-Georges Vongerichten, Jonathan Waxman, Sylvia Weinstock, and Michael White.
In addition, Barneys New York stores across the U.S. will incorporate portrayals of many from the list above, depending on region, as well as local celebrity chefs. The Beverly Hills store will also feature Nancy Silverton, Susan Feniger, Jon Shook, Vinny Dotolo, Marie Sue Miliken, and Suzanne Goin. The Chicago store will also feature Rick Bayless, Grant Achatz, and Art Smith. The Seattle store will also feature Ethan Stowell and Matthew Dillon. The stores at Boston's Copley Place and Chestnut Hill will also feature Jody Adams, Michael Schlow, and Ming Tsai. The Dallas store will also feature Tim Love and Stephan Pyles. The San Francisco store will also feature Tyler Florence and Nancy Silverton.
SOURCE Barneys New York