SOUTHFIELD, Mich., Jan. 4, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- As the world's top automakers are unveiling their latest models next week at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, the world's leading chemical company – BASF – will showcase the increasing role of chemical products in helping to deliver improved vehicle performance and comfort.
BASF works closely with car designers, engineers, collision repair centers and OEM manufacturers to apply its innovative product ideas in developing lighter, safer, colorful and more energy-efficient cars with unparalleled motoring comfort.
In full alignment with the company's "We create chemistry" strategy, BASF is continuing to focus on sustainable development, the future of mobility and energy efficiency to help play a role in conserving resources and improving quality of life.
BASF's 4,500 square-foot exhibit in room D2-15, which will be open to journalists and invited automaker and supplier guests Jan.9-12, will demonstrate the latest automotive technologies from BASF.
"The North American International Auto Show provides BASF with a great opportunity to showcase our innovations that will help automakers differentiate their vehicles and at the same time make the vehicles more sustainable and energy-efficient," said Beate Ehle, President, Market and Business Development, BASF North America.
Key technology and innovative product highlights at BASF's suite will include:
- The world's first full plastic wheel concept that shows high potential for mass production, made from BASF's impact-resistant specialty polyamide Ultramid® Structure. The wheel is more than 30 percent lighter than a standard production aluminum wheel and significantly contributes to vehicle weight reduction.
- The official North American launch of the Ultramid® ENDURE line of plastics, which is a highly heat-resistant family of products that are suitable for replacing metal in automotive engines, helping to reduce weight and cost.
- The company's material-and-weight-saving thermoplastic seat back frame, developed in conjunction with Faurecia, which integrates the seat frame and back panel into one structure that enables the reduction of foam and simplifies the trimming process.
- BASF's ULTRASIM™, a CAE tool that helps automotive customers create virtual product prototypes and optimized (multi-material) designs that result in finished mass-produced components with marked weight and cost improvements.
- The company's HED™ cathode materials for lithium-ion batteries (LIB), which can offer higher energy density, safety and efficiency and help meet the evolving requirements of batteries in automotive drivetrains. In addition, BASF offers tailor-made electrolytes to the LIB industry.
- A comprehensive toolkit of innovative catalyst technologies to enable automotive OEMs to cost-effectively meet ever tightening emission regulations, such as LEV III, and help provide clean air for all.
- BASF's automotive coatings portfolio, which includes OEM coatings and automotive refinish coatings to the collision repair / refinish industries. BASF's modern paint processes combined with its special effect pigments and technologies, result in a full-breadth of color solutions and development capabilities.
- A collection of BASF Polyurethane Solutions – which can be found in countless automotive applications and components – ranging from lightweight components for the car body, instrument panels, foam seating, center consoles, headrests and load floors, to soft touch Elastoskin® on the door panel skins, Cellasto® Microcellular Elastomer to improve NVH, and Elastollan® Thermoplastic Polyurethanes in door handles.
About BASF Automotive Solutions
BASF is the world's largest chemical supplier to the automotive industry. BASF automotive solutions are used across virtually all vehicle systems to improve performance, reduce fuel consumption, improve safety or decrease emissions. As a development partner with deep technical expertise, BASF also helps auto makers and suppliers to drive innovation, production efficiency and sustainability. In 2010 BASF's sales to the global automotive industry were an estimated euro 7.9 billion. Visit www.automotive.basf.com for more information on BASF automotive solutions.
BASF – The Chemical Company
BASF Corporation, headquartered in Florham Park, New Jersey, is the North American affiliate of BASF SE, Ludwigshafen, Germany. BASF has approximately 16,400 employees in North America, and had sales of $17.7 billion in 2010. For more information about BASF's North American operations, visit www.basf.us.
BASF is the world's leading chemical company: The Chemical Company. Its portfolio ranges from chemicals, plastics, performance products, and agricultural products to oil and gas. As a reliable partner, BASF creates chemistry to help its customers in virtually all industries to be more successful. With its high-value products and intelligent solutions, BASF plays an important role in finding answers to global challenges, such as climate protection, energy efficiency, nutrition and mobility. BASF posted sales of more than euro 63.9 billion in 2010 and had approximately 109,000 employees as of the end of the year. Further information on BASF is available on the Internet at www.basf.com or in the Social Media Newsroom at newsroom.basf.com.
® Registered trademark of BASF, The Chemical Company