CANTON, Mass., Sept. 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Baskin-Robbins, the world's largest chain of ice cream specialty shops, today announced the launch of "The Big Thaw" online voting contest, which gives fans the chance to bring back one of their favorite flavors from a selection of 31 retired Baskin-Robbins ice cream creations from the brand's famous "Deep Freeze." Beginning today and continuing through October 10, fans can visit the Baskin-Robbins Facebook page to vote for their favorite classic ice cream flavor. The winning flavor will be brought back from the "Deep Freeze" and will be available for a limited time in 2014 in ready-made quarts at participating shops nationwide. All fans who vote in the contest will receive a coupon for a Buy One Cone, Get One Free coupon.*
Guests can choose from some of Baskin-Robbins's most popular retired flavors, including:
- Apple Pie a la Mode (Originally launched in 2006) - Vanilla ice cream mixed with real apples, crunchy pie crust and a caramel cinnamon creme ribbon that will satisfy the sweet-tooth of pie lovers everywhere.
- Boston Cream Pie (Originally launched in 1973) - Custard-flavored ice cream with bits of cake, OREO® cookie pieces, and a chocolate ribbon honors its hometown, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Fluffernut (Originally launched in 1972) - This peanut butter-flavored ice cream with crushed peanuts and a marshmallow ribbon is a delicious and decadent treat.
- French Toast (Originally launched in 2011) - Toss out the knife and fork, this French Toast only needs a spoon! Scrumptious French Toast-flavored ice cream with gooey maple bread pudding.
- Key Lime Pie (Originally launched in 1972) - This flavor features white chocolate ice cream swirled with a key lime ribbon and key lime cheesecake pieces.
- Lunar Cheesecake (Originally launched in 1969) - Originally introduced in 1969 to commemorate the first spaceflight to land on the moon, this flavor is out of this world with a green and white cheesecake ice cream base loaded with cheesecake pieces combined with a graham cracker ribbon.
- Root Beer Float (Originally launched in 2004) - Refreshing root beer sorbet combined with vanilla ice cream.
"'The Big Thaw' allows us to engage with our fans in a fun and interactive way and gives them the chance to revisit and reminisce about some of their all-time favorite Baskin-Robbins ice cream flavors," said Dan Wheeler, Vice President of U.S. Brand and Field Marketing for Baskin-Robbins. "There was a tremendous response to our first 'Big Thaw' contest back in 2011, and we're excited to see what flavor our guests vote to bring back from our 'Deep Freeze' this time around to enjoy with their family and friends."
The Baskin-Robbins flavor library currently holds more than 1,300 notable ice cream flavor creations from the brand's 68-year history. With more than 7,000 locations in nearly 50 countries, Baskin-Robbins continues to deliver new and delicious flavors to delight the taste buds of ice cream lovers around the world. As ice cream trends change to reflect consumers' cravings for new and popular ingredients, flavors are retired to the "Deep Freeze" to make room for new creations.
* Coupon for Buy One Cone, Get One Free of equal or lesser value. Excludes waffle cones.
Named the top ice cream and frozen dessert franchise in the United States by Entrepreneur magazine's 31st annual Franchise 500® ranking, Baskin-Robbins is the world's largest chain of ice cream specialty shops. Baskin-Robbins creates and markets innovative, premium hard scoop ice cream and soft serve, custom ice cream cakes and a full range of beverages, providing quality and value to consumers at more than 7,000 retail shops in nearly 50 countries. Baskin-Robbins was founded in 1945 by two ice cream enthusiasts whose passion led to the creation of more than 1,000 ice cream flavors and a wide variety of delicious treats. In 2012, more than 13 million ice cream cakes were sold in Baskin-Robbins shops worldwide. For the full-year 2012, Baskin-Robbins' shops had global franchisee-reported sales of approximately $1.9 billion. Headquartered in Canton, Mass., Baskin-Robbins is part of the Dunkin' Brands Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: DNKN) family of companies. For further information, visit www.BaskinRobbins.com.