14 Oct, 2015, 09:49 ET
WASHINGTON, Oct. 14, 2015 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Broadcasting Board of Governors has announced the winners of the 2015 David Burke Distinguished Journalism Awards for exceptional integrity, bravery, and originality in reporting.
The 2015 winners represent each of the BBG networks and have tackled topics ranging from extremism in Nigeria and in the Middle East, to corruption in Azerbaijan. Many of them have done so at great risk.
"Our 2015 Burke Award winners represent the best of U.S. international media," said Chairman Jeff Shell. "These brave men and women have tackled issues of critical importance in some of the most dangerous locations on earth."
CEO John Lansing agreed, adding, "Every day our journalists overcome seemingly insurmountable odds to bring exceptional reporting to audiences in media-restricted countries. It is with honor and humility that we recognize these outstanding individuals who risk their livelihoods to provide accurate, uncensored information to those who need it most."
This year's winners are:
- Ibrahim Ahmed, from Voice of America's Hausa Service, for his intrepid reporting from Boko Haram targeted territory in Northeastern Nigeria
- Jose Alpizar, from the Office of Cuba Broadcasting, for his ingenuity and dedication in developing an effective distribution system for Marti content in Cuba
- Shohret Hoshur, from the Uyghur Service at Radio Free Asia, for his excellent and exclusive reporting on Xinjiang and the Uyghur nation, despite threats to family members in China
- The Staff of Azerbaijani Service's Baku Bureau, Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, for their revealing investigative reporting in the face of beatings, harassment and even forced closure by the Azeri government
- The Producers of Alhurra's Delusional Paradise, from the Middle East Broadcasting Networks, for their compelling and powerful series that provides a voice for the living victims of violent extremism.
The Burke Awards will be presented at a special ceremony in Washington, D.C. in December. For detailed information about the award winning work, and to sign up to receive information about the December award ceremony, please visit the BBG website. To read about past Burke Award winners, visit our Burke Awards page.
For more information, contact:
Broadcasting Board of Governors Public Affairs
Photo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20151014/276775
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20151014/276780LOGO
SOURCE Broadcasting Board of Governors
Share this article