BIRMINGHAM, Ala., Jan. 15, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- BBVA Compass and the BBVA Compass Foundation hosted the first annual "Building a Better Birmingham" reception Tuesday, honoring 50 of the nonprofit and community partners it works with to make the city a better place to live and work.
In 2013, some $1.1 million was contributed to Birmingham's nonprofit community directly from the bank as well as through the BBVA Compass Foundation and BBVA Compass Charity, the bank's employee giving program. In addition, local employees volunteered more than 15,000 hours of their time.
"BBVA Compass supports a number of great nonprofits in our community, and it is important to us to take time to thank them for letting us be a part of their mission," said Alan Register, BBVA Compass Birmingham city president.
The honorees included:
- Accion Texas Inc.
- Alabama Asset Building Coalition
- Alabama Ballet
- Alabama Council on Economic Education Inc.
- Alabama Symphony Orchestra
- American Heart Association
- Be The Match
- Better Basics
- Birmingham Children's Theatre
- Birmingham Civil Rights Institute
- Birmingham Museum of Art
- Birmingham Zoo Inc.
- Breakthrough Collaborative
- Breast Cancer Research Foundation of Alabama
- Childcare Resources
- Financial Education Outreach
- First Light
- Girl Scouts of North-Central Alabama
- Girls Incorporated of Central Alabama
- Greater Alabama Council Boy Scouts of America
- Hispanic Interest Coalition of Alabama
- Impact Alabama
- IMPACT Family Counseling
- Junior Achievement of Greater Birmingham Inc.
- Junior League of Birmingham
- Leadership Birmingham
- Magic City Smooth Jazz
- March of Dimes
- McWane Science Center
- PFLAG Birmingham
- PreSchool Partners
- Railroad Park Foundation
- Red Mountain Theatre Company
- REV Birmingham
- Ronald McDonald House Charities of Alabama
- Seedco Financial Services Inc.
- Teach for America – Alabama
- The Children's Aid Society
- The Learning Village
- The Women's Fund of Greater Birmingham
- Three Hots and a Cot
- UAB Educational Foundation
- United Way of Central Alabama Inc.
- University of Montevallo Foundation
- Woodlawn Foundation
- YMCA of Greater Birmingham
More than 50 people attended the event at BBVA Compass' Daniel Building in downtown Birmingham. Birmingham is a key market for BBVA Compass, which is the second-largest bank in the city and employs nearly 3,100 people in the area.
About BBVA Group
BBVA Compass is a subsidiary of BBVA Compass Bancshares Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of BBVA (NYSE : BBVA ) (MAD: BBVA). BBVA is a customer-centric global financial services group founded in 1857. The Group has a solid position in Spain, is the largest financial institution in Mexico and has leading franchises in South America and the Sunbelt region of the United States. Its diversified business is geared toward high-growth markets and relies on technology as a key sustainable competitive advantage. Corporate responsibility is at the core of its business model. BBVA fosters financial education and inclusion, and supports scientific research and culture. It operates with the highest integrity, a long-term vision and applies best practices. The Group is present in the main sustainability indexes. More information about the BBVA Group can be found at www.bbva.com.
About BBVA Compass
BBVA Compass is a Sunbelt-based financial institution that operates 687 branches, including 351 in Texas, 90 in Alabama, 78 in Arizona, 64 in California, 45 in Florida, 38 in Colorado and 21 in New Mexico. BBVA Compass ranks among the top 25 largest U.S. commercial banks based on deposit market share and ranks among the largest banks in Alabama (2nd), Texas (4th) and Arizona (5th). BBVA Compass has been recognized as one of the leading small business lenders by the Small Business Administration and was recently awarded the 2013 Celent Model Bank Award for its new core banking platform. Additional information about BBVA Compass can be found at www.bbvacompass.com.
BBVA Compass is a trade name of Compass Bank, member FDIC.
SOURCE BBVA Compass