FRANKLIN LAKES, N.J., June 3 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company) (NYSE: BDX), a leading global medical technology company, announced today the publication of its 2009 Sustainability Report. The report reaffirms the commitment of BD's 29,000 dedicated associates worldwide to pursuing the Company's purpose, "Helping all people live healthy lives," and doing so in a way that supports and promotes sustainability.
"BD is committed to balancing the triple bottom line – achieving strong economic performance, promoting environmental stewardship and advancing social responsibility," said Edward J. Ludwig, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. "We are making very good progress, and we have many opportunities to make an even greater impact. We are seeking to incorporate sustainable practices into every aspect of our operations."
For 113 years, BD has been committed to providing affordable, accessible medical technologies that help address fundamental healthcare needs. BD recognizes that human health and a healthy environment are inseparable, and aspires to become recognized as the most environmentally responsible company in its industry. In 2009, the Company created a new Office of Global Sustainability to focus on improving environmental performance throughout the organization.
The 2009 Sustainability Report highlights BD's priorities and achievements in areas including:
- Society: BD makes contributions to society through its products, supplemented by giving time, talent and resources to improve global health standards and access to healthcare for all communities.
- Fundamental healthcare needs: BD's strategy is to increase sustainable revenue growth by serving as a global leader in developing and applying technologies to solve emerging, sometimes underappreciated, but important and fundamental healthcare problems.
- Product responsibility: BD products play a key role in the discovery, diagnosis and the treatment of disease, through an approach that includes integrating safety-engineered features into our product design.
- Associates: The success of BD's business depends on the creativity, innovation and commitment of the 29,000 people it employs in more than 50 countries around the world. Our associates are proud to engage as exceptional stewards of the environment.
- The environment: BD is committed to reducing its environmental impacts and supporting its customers and suppliers to do the same.
2009 Awards and Recognition highlights include:
- BD has been included on the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index since 2006 and North America Index since 2005
- BD has been listed on the FTSE4Good index since 2003
- BD was ranked #3 in the Healthcare industry in Newsweek's 2009 Green Rankings
- BD has been named one of the "World's Most Ethical Companies" by Ethisphere since 2007
BD's 2009 Sustainability Report is available online at www.bd.com/sustainability.
BD is a leading global medical technology company that develops, manufactures and sells medical devices, instrument systems and reagents. The Company is dedicated to improving people's health throughout the world. BD is focused on improving drug delivery, enhancing the quality and speed of diagnosing infectious diseases and cancers, and advancing research, discovery and production of new drugs and vaccines. BD's capabilities are instrumental in combating many of the world's most pressing diseases. Founded in 1897 and headquartered in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, BD employs approximately 29,000 associates in more than 50 countries throughout the world. The Company serves healthcare institutions, life science researchers, clinical laboratories, the pharmaceutical industry and the general public. For more information, please visit www.bd.com.
Colleen T. White, Corporate Communications – 201-847-5369
Sherry Bertner, Investor Relations – 201-847-5453
SOURCE BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company)