NEW YORK, Oct. 17, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- This Halloween, ghosts and goblins aren't the only scary creatures crawling out of the woodwork. Bed bugs have become one of the biggest horror stories of the year. Unlike frightening and fictitious ghouls, bed bugs are all too real. Infestations have escalated and can be found in all 50 states. Most commonly found in the home, bed bugs are everywhere from airplanes, gyms and retail stores to movie theaters, hotels, and schools; no one is safe from these creepy crawlers.
One of the most skin-crawling infestation stories came from British Airways, where multiple passengers complained of being badly bitten on two separate flights.(1) The airline had to ground two jumbo jets as a result. One fed up flyer even created a protest website, www.ba-bites.com, to express her frustration.
New York City's Reebok Sports Club, the workout home to many celebrities and high-end clientele, had to close for several days when bed bugs were found creeping around member's lockers. The flagship Niketown store and the Empire State Building also reported problems.(2) The Juicy Couture store on 5th Avenue in Manhattan had to close its doors for several days due to the critters. Workers had the tedious task of removing the entire store's merchandise to ensure the pests were not hiding in clothing with the potential of striking again.(3)
So how can you protect your home and family from being haunted by bed bugs?
Here are some helpful tips:
- Clean your home regularly and reduce clutter
- Wash bedding, draperies and clothing in hot water
- Regularly vacuum floors, bedding and curtains
- Fully encase every mattress, box spring and pillow in your home with protectors that feature reinforced seams and zippers like the entomologist tested AllergyLuxe ARM & HAMMER Bed Bug Barrier line (found exclusively at Bed Bath & Beyond®). These encasements are proven to effectively keep bedbugs out of box springs, mattresses, and pillows; If the bedding has already been infested, AllergyLuxe Bed Bug Barrier mattress, box spring and pillow protectors will trap bed bugs inside, disrupting their feeding routine and ultimately eliminating them
- Pack your clothes in a bed-bug proof pillow encasement to keep them safe in your luggage; The AllergyLuxe ARM & HAMMER Bed Bug Barrier pillow encasement works well because it features reinforced seams and micro-zipper technology
- Before entering a hotel room, leave your luggage at the door while you spot check your hotel bed; Look in the seams of the mattress and around the bed skirt for small brown stains (a sure sign that bed bugs have already gotten to the room)
- Slide a piece of paper or cardboard behind the headboard and make sure it comes out clean. If not, the room may be infested. Picture frames, baseboard and curtains should also be checked
- Keep luggage zippered at all times
- Keep your clothes in a zipped suitcase for the entirety of your stay; do not unpack into hotel drawers and closets
- When you get home, carefully unpack your clothing directly into the washer and immediately wash and dry all clothing - and thoroughly inspect your entire suitcase
While nothing can guarantee that bed bugs won't be trick-or-treating at your home this year, these proactive measures can significantly reduce the chances- making your Halloween a little less frightening!
(1) Ray Massey, "Bed-bug Airways: BA grounds two jumbos after woman tells how flights left her covered in bite," Daily Mail Online (February 2011) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1360492/Bed-bug-Airways-BA-grounds-jumbo-jets-businesswoman-tells-long-haul-flights-left-covered-bites.html.
(3) Ashley Vaughan, "New York Juicy Couture store reopens after bed bug scare," CNN (December 2010) http://articles.cnn.com/2010-12-03/us/new.york.juicy.bugs_1_outbreak-wingless-blood-sucking?_s=PM:US.
ABOUT Allergy Luxe® Bed Bug Barrier Bedding Collection
The entomologist-tested AllergyLuxe ARM & HAMMER Bed Bug Barrier line features reinforced seams and micro-zipper technology that guarantee the most secure encasement and protection from bed bug infestations. Additionally, the line features ARM & HAMMER odor neutralizing technology; an innovative antimicrobial shield which helps prevent mold, mildew and bacteria to effectively reduce odors. The line includes mattress protectors, pillow protectors, and box spring protectors. The AllergyLuxe ARM & HAMMER Bed Bug Barrier line is available at
Bed Bath & Beyond® stores nationwide and at www.bedbathandbeyond.com.
About London Luxury LLC
London Luxury LLC is one of the nation's leading manufacturers of innovative and premium textile products for the home. The company is based in New Rochelle, New York, with a showroom in New York City. For more information please visit www.londonlux.com.
ARM & HAMMER is a trademark of Church & Dwight Co., Inc. and is used under license by London Luxury LLC.
SOURCE London Luxury LLC