OTTAWA, Ontario, Oct. 11, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- BelAir Networks, the leader in small cell wireless networking solutions for licensed and unlicensed spectrum service providers, today announced the general availability of the industry's first compact LTE+3G+Wi-Fi Metrocell with integrated wireless backhaul for easy outdoor deployments. The BelAir2100 LTE/3G/Wi-Fi Metrocell supports multiple licensed bands, Carrier Wi-Fi access and a range of integrated wireless and wireline backhaul options in a small, robust and easy to install base station that reduces small cell CapEx and OpEx in dense metropolitan areas.
"BelAir2100 Metrocell hits every sweet spot in the small cell space with its combination of radios, ease of installation and smooth integration with the mobile carrier's existing macro and core network," said Chris Kissel, Mobile Internet Analyst, In-Stat. "There has been a real surge of mobile carrier interest in this small cell market segment."
Mobile data traffic growth rates outstrip associated revenue, while Wi-Fi popularity continues to increase. These trends have prompted operators to augment their traditional macrocell networks with small cell technologies and Wi-Fi to cost-effectively handle mobile data in high traffic areas.
Operators can deploy small cells to cost-effectively increase capacity and add Wi-Fi to further augment this capacity while also maintaining the contact with their customers that is critical to their subscriber growth and retention objectives. Up until the availability of the BelAir2100, which is the first metrocell to ship with LTE/3G + Wi-Fi with wireless backhaul as an option, outdoor small cells have faced operational barriers in terms of power, mounting and backhaul. With the BelAir2100, targeted metropolitan in-fill coverage and capacity can be deployed more affordably and in matters of weeks not months – saving service providers CapEx and OpEx.
"BelAir Networks has a track record of delivering market-making small cell solutions to help our customers save time, money and deliver improved services," said Bernard Herscovich, president and CEO, BelAir Networks. "We were the first to engineer Wi-Fi for the demanding carrier environment, first to successfully integrate Wi-Fi with licensed bands and now, with the BelAir2100 LTE/3G/Wi-Fi Metrocell, first to unlock the potential for outdoor small cells."
BelAir Networks First to Market with Small Cell and Carrier Wi-Fi Innovations
BelAir Networks has worked with Tier One carriers to deploy large scale Carrier Wi-Fi networks and successful trials and commercial deployment of their outdoor small cell product, the BelAir100SP Strand Picocell. Leveraging this Carrier Wi-Fi and Small Cell leadership, the new BelAir2100 Metrocell features industry-leading innovations that make it easier and more cost-effective for mobile operators to deliver a great user experience, even in high traffic areas suffering under a deluge of mobile data traffic. These innovations include:
- Combination of licensed band access with Carrier Wi-Fi and wireless backhaul in a small, easy to install form factor
- Hetnet-in-a-box concept improves network capacity while reducing the operator's installed cost and ongoing OpEx
- Support for multiple licensed band radios
- Mobile carriers with multiple macro domain suppliers achieve efficiencies by standardizing on one metrocell solution while ensuring a smooth integration and faster installation and commissioning
- Integrated dual 802.11n Carrier Wi-Fi radios support Hotspot 2.0 (including 802.11u) standards for seamless secure roaming
- Carrier-grade networking capabilities going well beyond standards:
- Proven integration and interoperability with multiple carrier core networks
- Scalable management supporting up to 100,000 metrocells in a single network
- Edge-based policy enforcement interfacing with carrier's policy management system
- Edge-based security
- Support for carrier-grade legal intercept
- Network wide mobility
- Integrated wireless and wireline backhaul options including high performance switched mesh
- Ensures location mounting flexibility and ease of network planning while maximizing performance and reducing egress requirements
BelAir2100 Metrocell is designed to mitigate interference and enable full RF interoperability between the licensed band and Wi-Fi access radios, as well as between the metrocell and the macro network. It also features an all IP backhaul and supports multiple tunneling protocols, enabling full mobility across networks. Learn more about the BelAir2100 Metrocell.
BelAir Networks will feature the BelAir2100 LTE/3G/Wi-Fi Metrocell at booth #1026 at CTIA Enterprise and Applications, San Diego Convention Center, October 11 – 13, 2011 and at booth #1416 at 4G World, McCormick Place, Chicago, October 25 – 27, 2011.
About BelAir Networks
BelAir Networks is the leader in small cell wireless networking solutions for licensed and unlicensed spectrum service providers. BelAir Networks products are deployed by leading service providers such as AT&T, Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Cablevision and Bright House Networks. The company's portfolio of indoor and outdoor access points (AP) and small cell base stations, control and management systems enable service providers to build scalable, high performance wireless networks for 3G/4G data offload, city hotzones, and Wi-Fi coverage for large venues, special events and retail chains. BelAir Networks is a privately held company with Tier 1 carrier customers and backed by investment from Comcast Interactive Capital, T-Mobile Venture Fund and leading venture capital firms including Trilogy Equity Partners. For more information, visit www.belairnetworks.com.
SOURCE BelAir Networks