FELTON, California, August 31, 2017 /PRNewswire/ --
The global biosimilars market is expected to reach USD 13.1 billion by 2024 on account of increase in the prevalence of chronic diseases such as cancer, diabetics, cardiac disorders and autoimmune diseases. Rising demand for the cost-effective therapies is expected to drive the market in the forecast period. Biosimilars are about 30% cheaper than their counterpart biologics. Furthermore, the patent expiry of the blockbuster drugs is anticipated to provide a lucrative opportunity for the growth of biosimilars. For instance, a patent for Bevacizumab, sold under the trade name Avastin is expiring in 2019.
Moreover, increasing government initiatives, speedy drug approvals and reimbursement policies are expected to boost the market for the biosimilars in the study period. Also, market giants are adopting merger & acquisition strategies to increase their product portfolio. For instance, in 2015, Pfizer, Inc. acquired Hospira, a key player in biosimilars market.
In 2016, oncology was the largest segment, accounting for 32% market share. Increasing prevalence of cancer across the globe is the key factor driving the growth of the market over the forecast period. For instance, according to the American Cancer Society, an estimated 1.6 lakh people suffered from cancer in 2016. Also, increasing government initiatives to provide cost effective treatment to cure deadly diseases will boost the penetration of biosimilar in developing countries which in turn will increase the market for biosimilar over the forecast period. For instance, WHO launched a pilot program for prequalifying biosimilar drug, making some of the most expensive treatments for cancer more widely available in developing countries. Under this initiative, WHO has focused on two essential drug rituximab (principally used for the treatment of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and chronic lymphocytic leukaemia), and trastuzumab (for the treatment of breast cancer).
Browse full research report with TOC on "Biosimilars Market Size and Forecast, By Indication (Blood Disorders, Oncology, Chronic & Autoimmune Diseases), And Trend Analysis, 2014 - 2024" at: https://www.hexaresearch.com/research-report/biosimilars-market
In terms of region, Europe dominates the market for biosimilars followed by North America. The dominance of Europe is due speedy approval of the drug by European regulatory bodies. Furthermore, improving healthcare infrastructure and ageing population is expected to drive the market over the forecast period. However, Asia Pacific is projected to be the fastest growing region owing to the increasing disposable income of middle-class families, growing medical tourism and improving healthcare infrastructure. Furthermore, increasing investment in R&D activities by pharmaceutical giants is expected to boost the market in the projected period.
Browse reports of similar category by Hexa Research:
- U.S. Medical Cannabis Market - The U.S. medical cannabis market size was valued at USD 5.44 billion in 2016. The medical marijuana market is at the nascent stage of development and is expected to grow significantly.
- Teeth Whitening Products Market - Global teeth whitening products market was valued at USD 5.56 billion in 2016. The rising demand for over-the-counter bleaching products and increasing focus on appearance and role of white teeth in personality building are some of the factors that are expected to upsurge the growth during the forecast period.
- Ultracentrifuges Market - Global ultracentrifuges market size was estimated to be worth USD 27.8 million in 2016. An increasing number of diseases has resulted in an increased utilization of ultracentrifuge for the development of vaccines.
- Glioblastoma Multiforme Market - Global glioblastoma multiforme (GBM) market was estimated to be USD 464.8 million in 2016 and is expected to grow significantly over the forecast period primarily due to the rising ageing population.
Hexa Research has segmented the global biosimilars market based on indication and region:
Segmentation by indication, 2014 - 2024 (USD Million)
• Blood Disorders
• Chronic & Autoimmune Diseases
Segmentation by region, 2014 - 2024 (USD Million)
• North America
• Asia Pacific
• Rest of the world
Key players analyzed:
• Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Ltd
• Shanghai Fosun Pharmaceutical (Group) Co., Ltd.
• Pfizer Inc.
• Sandoz International GmbH
• Teva Pharmaceuticals Industries Ltd.
• Amgen Inc.
• STADA Arzneimittel AG
• F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.
About Hexa Research
Hexa Research is a market research and consulting organization, offering industry reports, custom research and consulting services to a host of key industries across the globe. We offer comprehensive business intelligence in the form of industry reports which help our clients obtain clarity about their business environment and enable them to undertake strategic growth initiatives.
Corporate Sales Specialist
Toll Free: 1-800-489-3075
SOURCE Hexa Research