EAGAN, Minn., July 25, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- With $1 million in first-year funding approved on June 14, the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota Foundation is fueling 13 community health-focused projects across the state. The projects focus on social and economic factors that significantly impact health outcomes for Minnesotans. Grants range from $50,000 to $100,000 and all are potentially renewable for a second year.
"We want all Minnesotans to have the opportunity to lead healthy lives," said Foundation Executive Director Carolyn Link. "We know that means getting serious about addressing barriers to health equity, including social determinants of health such as income, employment, education, community safety, and family and social support. This has been a core focus of the Foundation for many years, and this funding announcement represents a critical step forward toward our health equity vision."
The grantees are uniquely positioned to address barriers to achieving optimal health in their communities. These include organizations led by people of color and organizations led by people in greater Minnesota counties where barriers are particularly significant. "Since its inception 30 years ago, the Foundation has focused on promoting meaningful, sustainable change—and that's exactly what each of these grantees are working toward," said Link.
The following organizations were selected to receive grants. A description of each is available on the Foundation's website.
- Alliance for Metropolitan Stability, Minneapolis
- Asian Economic Development Association, St. Paul
- Centro Campesino, Owatonna
- Centro de Trabajadores Unidos en Lucha, Minneapolis
- Children's Defense Fund, St. Paul
- Immigrant Development Center, Moorhead
- Juxtaposition Arts Inc., Minneapolis
- Lakes and Pines Community Action Council, Mora
- MAP for Nonprofits as fiscal sponsor for RISE: Reviving the Islamic Sisterhood for Empowerment, Brooklyn Center
- Northland Foundation, Duluth
- Urban Homeworks, Inc., Minneapolis
- Voices for Racial Justice, Minneapolis
- Youthprise, Minneapolis
For more information on Blue Cross' grantmaking programs, call (651) 662-3950 or toll free at 1-866-812-1593, or visit our website.
As the philanthropic arm of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota, the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota Foundation is exclusively dedicated to improving health in Minnesota. Our purpose: advance health equity and improve the conditions where people live, learn, work, and play. The Foundation celebrates its 30th anniversary in 2016. Over the past 30 years, we've awarded a total of $48 million to nearly 500 organizations across the state.
SOURCE Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota Foundation