ARLINGTON, Va., Jan. 13 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- BNA Books, a division of specialized news and information publisher BNA, announced today the publication of the 2009 Cumulative Supplement to Intellectual Property Taxation: Transaction and Litigation Issues.
Intellectual Property Taxation: Transaction and Litigation Issues is the only treatise of its kind that considers, on a comparative basis, the tax implications of major business transactions involving both traditional and emerging forms of intellectual property. The authors' analyses strike a perfect balance by explaining the technical tax considerations and their relation to the complexities of intellectual property transactions. Topics include:
- Intellectual property holding companies, research and development limited partnerships, and cost-sharing arrangements
- Taxation of emerging forms of intellectual property assets, such as domain names and Web contents
- New tax regulations governing intellectual property development costs
- Federal and state tax treatment of e-commerce transactions, including sales of online music, digital contents, and software
- International tax rules governing intellectual property development, acquisitions, licenses, and transfers
- Tax treatments of damages, settlement awards, and litigation costs in intellectual property litigation; software development, acquisitions, and transfers; and charitable gifts of intellectual property
The 2009 Cumulative Supplement discusses the following developments and updates:
- New federal tax rules for intellectual property development, including new tax breaks for songwriters and computer software developers, and new rules on the research tax credit
- Recent cases involving the documentation required for the research tax credit, the taxation of software development and licenses, the capitalization of trademark licensing fees, and the deductibility of book writing and playwriting expenses
- The latest IRS rulings addressing intellectual property exchanges, assignments of patents, and installation and customization work related to software acquisitions
- New material on intellectual property litigation, including recent guidance on the tax treatment of patent and copyright infringement awards and on the impact of taxes in calculating infringing profits
- Recent state legislation, court decisions, and administrative rulings impacting the popular intellectual property holding company
In addition, you'll find charts and detailed explanations of state taxation of online transactions such as online sales and licensing of goods and software, digital music, and website development.
The 2009 Cumulative Supplement to Intellectual Property Taxation: Transaction and Litigation Issues is written by Professors Jeffrey A. Maine and Xuan-Thao N. Nguyen. Professor Maine is with the University of Maine School of Law, Portland, ME. He has taught intellectual property tax concepts at numerous law schools over the past 10 years, and he has published and lectured extensively on taxation. Professor Nguyen is with Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, Dallas, TX. She is a nationally recognized scholar in intellectual property and e-commerce law.
BNA is a leading private publisher of news and information products for professionals in law and business. In addition to the 2009 Cumulative Supplement to Intellectual Property Taxation: Transaction and Litigation Issues, BNA's Book Division publishes Computer and Intellectual Property Crime: Federal and State Law; Intellectual Property Law in Cyberspace; McCarthy's Desk Encyclopedia of Intellectual Property; Patent Infringement Remedies; Patent, Trademark, and Copyright Laws; Patent, Trademark, and Copyright Regulations; Patents and the Federal Circuit; Trademark Dilution: Federal, State, and International Law; Intellectual Property Technology Transfer; Internet Law: A Field Guide; Intellectual Property, Software, and Information Licensing: Law and Practice; Trademark Infringement Remedies; and other titles in legal specialties. For a free BNA Books catalog, call 1-800-960-1220 or send an e-mail request to firstname.lastname@example.org. The BNA Books website, including an online catalog, can be found at bnabooks.com.
The 2009 Cumulative Supplement to Intellectual Property Taxation: Transaction and Litigation Issues may be purchased alone (Order # 1810-PRY9/$235.00 plus tax, shipping, and handling) or with the main volume (2008/Order #9810-PRY9/$395.00, plus tax, shipping, and handling) from BNA Books, PO Box 7814, Edison, NJ 08818-7814. Telephone orders: 1-800-960-1220. Fax orders: 1-732-346-1624. A 10% discount is available on print copies of books when ordering from the website at bnabooks.com. Please note that discounts cannot be combined.
SOURCE BNA Books