FT. LAUDERDALE, Fla., Aug. 1, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Brian Kovack, President and Co-Founder of independent broker-dealer and FINRA member firm Kovack Securities, Inc., today announced his candidacy for re-election to the Mid-Size Firm seat on the FINRA Board of Governors, with the aim of further advancing his first term's achievements for the benefit of FINRA member firms, their financial advisors and their retail investor end clients. The announcement follows Mr. Kovack's successful three-year term as the mid-size firm representative on the FINRA Board that commenced in 2015, during which he effectively helped to enact thoughtful reforms to improve the regulator's transparency, efficiency and communication.
As a result of his strong leadership and track record of results in his first term, Mr. Kovack has been nominated by FINRA to run for re-election this year. Voting has commenced for the current election and will continue until Tuesday, August 28th. Voting firms are strongly encouraged by Brian Kovack's FINRA Board campaign team to cast their vote for Mr. Kovack's candidacy via one of the following options:
- Vote by Mail: return the signed ballot in the pre-paid envelope provided in the notice voting firms received from FINRA, or
- Vote Online: Using the Proxy Card provided by FINRA, access the website http://www.cesvote.com and follow the instructions presented to submit their proxy, or
- Vote by Phone: call, toll-free: 1-888-693-8683
Brian Kovack, President and Co-Founder of Kovack Securities, Inc., said, "I am excited to announce my campaign for re-election to the Mid-Size Firm seat on the FINRA Board of Governors. I am also pleased and honored to have official support for my candidacy from FINRA's Nominating & Governance Committee, which nominated me to run for another term this year. In 2015, I was elected to serve on the Board of Governors with a clear mandate for reform, in order to ensure that mid-size firms and their advisors had the strongest possible voice in FINRA's rulemaking and policy processes. Three years later, I'm proud to say that, without question, I've helped guide FINRA toward greater transparency, efficiency and more open communication on behalf of the firms and advisors I represent. Equally important, I'm confident that my first term Board achievements have also significantly benefited retail investors, both in providing access to high quality financial guidance for individuals and households across the country, and in supporting the ability of firms and advisors to deliver the best possible experience for their end clients."
Mr. Kovack assembled a powerful list of accomplishments for constituents in his first term, including:
- Working effectively with FINRA to simplify its examination process and give member firms greater access to general exam findings.
- Helping to establish FINRA's Small Firm Helpline, which provided an essential layer of support for small and mid-sized firms to ensure they receive answers to their questions from FINRA.
- Championing the implementation of FINRA's efforts to clearly communicate its priorities to member firms each year as part of the broader FINRA 360 transparency initiative.
- Serving as a highly accessible, highly engaged Board member who has actively built new communications channels and personal bridges between the mid-sized firm's community and the FINRA Board.
Mr. Kovack continued, "As the leader of an independent broker-dealer that I helped build from scratch, and as someone who has devoted most of my working life to the financial advisory space, I am dedicated to doing the heavy lifting on behalf of mid-sized firms across America. That's why I'm committed to pushing forward with the mission of establishing a regulatory landscape that will both protect and empower firms, advisors, and investors as they pursue their goals in the years ahead."
In his next term, Mr. Kovack will focus on bringing the following priorities to fruition:
- Building upon FINRA's efforts with firms and advisors in pursuit of a regulatory framework that looks out for investors without diminishing the quality or scope of professional guidance available to them.
- Seeing to it that new regulatory endeavors toward a best interest standard of care consider what firms and advisors require in order to support the needs of retail investors in a rapidly evolving landscape.
- Further bolstering the efficiency and transparency of the FINRA exam process.
- Rolling out additional tools and resources for small and mid-size firms so they can align with new regulations in a way that suits their businesses.
In addition to his experience as Co-Founder and President of Kovack Securities, Mr. Kovack's extensive background includes serving on the NASD Board of Governors and the FINRA Interim Board of Governors as a mid-size firm representative in 2006. He served a three-year term on the FINRA District 7 Committee from 2012 to 2014 and served a one-year term on the FINRA Regulatory Advisory Committee in 2013. In addition, he has served as a FINRA Dispute Resolution arbitrator since 2003, and in 2004 completed the FINRA Institute at Wharton Program, where he earned the Certified Regulatory and Compliance Professional (CRCP) designation.
Mr. Kovack received a Bachelor of Science in Finance from the University of Florida and earned Master of Accounting and Juris Doctorate (JD) degrees from Nova Southeastern University. He has been a Member of the Florida Bar and American Bar Association since 2000.
Mr. Kovack concluded, "My candidacy for a second term representing mid-size firms and their advisors on the FINRA Board of Governors reflects my deepest belief that member firms and FINRA can more productively safeguard the interests of investors and our industry by working together in a spirit of collaboration. This is an ambitious goal, and I know that much more must be done to make FINRA the best regulatory organization it can possibly become. Mid-sized firms and their advisors deserve a representative on the Board of Governors who combines the experience and focus on continued reform to help FINRA keep moving in the right direction. Whether you vote online, by phone, or by mail now through election day, I would sincerely appreciate your vote and your support as we continue to drive forward with this vitally important mission."
Voters can learn more about Mr. Kovack's candidacy and his important priorities at: www.kovack4bog.com.
About Kovack Securities
Kovack Securities is a privately owned, national, full-service independent broker-dealer based in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Founded in 1998 by Mr. Kovack and his father & Chairman Dr. Ronald Kovack, they have grown from zero financial advisors to approximately 400 affiliated independent financial advisors across the country. Mr. Kovack oversees the firm's day-to-day operations and serves as a strategic partner and advisor.
SOURCE Kovack Securities, Inc.