NEW YORK, June 2, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- BritBox, the digital video subscription service from the BBC and ITV offering the largest collection of British TV in the U.S, announced today their new June programming slate, with hundreds of episodes from numerous series debuting in-service throughout the month.
From an up-close look at the UK's hottest current comedies and comics through a variety of exclusive new TV series launches, to the highly-anticipated season finale of Kat & Alfie: Redwater; to a grand celebration of the Queen's birthday led by the U.S. debut of the annual Trooping the Colour Royal parade, there will be a more diverse and expansive line-up additions than ever before available to delve into and enjoy.
BritBox, which launched in March is the most comprehensive collection of British television, across all genres. The streaming service offers many of the U.K.s current hit shows, including Coronation Street and Eastenders, just a day after episodes air in the UK under its NOW banner, and of course thousands of hours of programming and series from the unmatched BBC and ITV libraries This includes fan-favorite soaps like Emmerdale, timeless comedies like Absolutely Fabulous and Fawlty Towers and iconic sci-fi favorites such as Red Dwarf and classic Doctor Who.
Here is a look at the exciting line-up for June:
- June 1st: Jonathan Creek Season 5 and Daemon's Roost (U.S. Exclusive Premiere): Cult-favorite comedian Alan Davies returns to reprise his role as Jonathan Creek, a magician-detective who solves supernatural mysteries leveraging his talent for logical deduction. Daemon's Roost, a 90-minute Jonathan Creek special also received critical acclaim with The Guardian writing that it is "…a mash-up of Sherlock and Tim Burton by way of Midsomer Murders."
- June 6th: Reg (U.S. Exclusive premiere):Based on a true story, this drama stars Academy Award nominated Tim Roth (Rob Roy, Hulk, Selma) as an ambulance paramedic who stood in the UK's 2005 General Election on an anti-war ticket and opposing Tony Blair.
- June 7th: Mo (BritBox premiere): Leading up to the UK's election, BritBox presents the U.S. premiere of BAFTA award-winning film Mo starring Julie Walters (Harry Potter, Mamma Mia). in the titular lead of a powerful story of politics, betrayal and love.
- June 8th: Coalition (U.S. Exclusive premiere): Critically acclaimed dramatization about the formation of the 2010 coalition government by Nick Clegg, David Cameron, and Gordon Brown.
- June 17th: Trooping the Colour (BritBox NOW – U.S. Exclusive Premiere): This "live event" is an impressive display of pageantry by the Queen's personal troops, the Household Division on Horse Guards Parade. Presented on BritBox NOW hours after it airs in the UK.
- June 21st: Inside No. 9 (Season 2 & 3 – U.S. Exclusive Premiere): Each half-hour episode of this dark comedy anthology is a self-contained story with new characters and a new setting.
- June 22nd: Kat & Alfie: Redwater (BritBox NOW): catch the season finale of this not-to-be missed drama of a woman searching for her long-lost son. It's the show that The Guardian billed as 'Broadchurch meets Ballykissangel' and called, "…intriguing. And ambitious, and cinematic."
- June 27th: League of Gentlemen (BritBox premiere): This dark English comedy launched the careers of Steve Pemberton, Reece Shearsmith and Mark Gatiss (Sherlock, Taboo) and has also garnered multiple awards and recognitions including BAFTA, RTS and Rose d'Or.
- June 29th: Psychoville (BritBox premiere): a pleasantly absurd story revolving around embittered characters, including one of Daniel Kaluuya's (Get Out) earliest roles.
And for those Bingers – BritBox has some marathon ready watching recommendations as well:
BritBox's 5 Series to Binge:
As summer starts to heat up, here's some binge-worthy series to keep cool with this month:
- Tutankhamun: As the latest installment of The Mummy starring Tom Cruise arrives in theaters on June 9th, audience can watch the historical drama Tutankhamun (aka "Mummy of Tut"). Starring Max Irons and Sam Neill, Tutankhamun is based on the compelling story of Howard Carter and his discovery of the tomb of one of Ancient Egypt's forgotten pharaohs, the boy-king Tutankhamun. Lord Carnavon is the dashing eccentric who keeps faith with Carter and continues to back his expeditions when no one else will. A BritBox exclusive.
- Prime Suspect: as PBS unveils Tennison: The Early Years on June 25th, see where it all began with this incredible series starring Helen Mirren as the no-nonsense inspector Jane Tennison.
- Kat & Alfie: Redwater: as we head into the season finale on June 22nd, catch up on earlier episodes of this not to be missed newly launched UK drama. A BritBox exclusive.
- The Street: Compared to Law & Order in the U.S., this multi-award winning series stars Timothy Spall, Jim Broadbent and Bob Hoskins. A BritBox exclusive.
- Ordinary Lies: Written by Bafta and International Emmy award-winning screenwriter Danny Brocklehurst and starring a strong ensemble cast, Ordinary Lies shows how desperation can lead to drastic solutions, even in the most mundane workplaces. A BritBox exclusive.
BritBox is now available for $6.99 per month—after an introductory free trial period—on responsive web, Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, and Android mobile phones and tablets, as well as Chromecast and Roku®.
BritBox is a digital video subscription service offering the largest collection of British TV in the U.S. Created by two British content powerhouses – BBC Worldwide, the commercial arm of the BBC, and ITV, the UK's biggest commercial broadcaster – the service features iconic favorites, exclusive premieres, and current series and soaps available a day after they air in the UK. BritBox also offers expert curation and playlists that enable fans to easily find programs they know and discover new favorites on web, mobile, tablet and connected TV's. AMC Networks is an investor in BritBox.
About BBC Worldwide
BBC Worldwide is the main commercial arm and a wholly owned subsidiary of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). Its vision is to build the BBC's brands, audiences, commercial returns and reputation across the world. This is achieved through investing in, commercializing and showcasing content from the BBC around the world, in a way that is consistent with BBC standards and values. The business also champions British creativity globally. In 2015/16 BBC Worldwide generated headline profits of £133.8m and headline sales of £1,029.4m and returned £222.2m to the BBC.
For more detailed performance information please see our Annual Review webpage: bbcworldwide.com/annual-review/.
ITV is an integrated producer broadcaster and the largest commercial television network in the UK. It is the home of popular television from the biggest entertainment events, to original drama, major sport, landmark factual series and independent news. It operates a family of channels including ITV, ITVBe, ITV2, ITV3 and ITV4 and CITV, which are broadcast free-to-air, as well as the pay channel ITV Encore. ITV is also focused on delivering its programming via the ITV Hub, mobile devices, video on demand and third party platforms. ITV Studios is a global production business, creating and selling programmes and formats from offices in the UK, US, Australia, France, Germany, the Nordics and the Netherlands. It is the largest and most successful commercial production company in the UK, the largest independent non-scripted indie in the US and ITV Studios Global Entertainment is a leading international distribution businesses.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/britbox-serves-up-award-winning-comedies-dramas-and-the-queen-this-june-300468041.html