PARIS, Oct. 27 /PRNewswire/ -- Broadband World Forum 2010 -- Broadcom Corporation (Nasdaq: BRCM), a global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications, today announced the availability of its BCM6818 Gigabit Passive Optical Network (GPON)-based residential gateway system-on-a-chip (SoC) solution. The BCM6818 represents one of the first and most complete hardware and software solutions currently available for enabling advanced GPON-based residential gateway services that include Wi-Fi, voice over IP (VoIP), Ethernet switching and IPTV.
Broadcom's residential gateway software continues to be the most widely deployed globally and supports the Broadcom® BCM6818 solution. It is the first residential gateway software to combine TR-069 (which is already part of carrier DSL residential gateway management) with OMCI to enable GPON and provide unparalleled standards-based silicon that simplifies carrier deployment models and preserves the DSL architecture.
With today's BCM6818 announcement, Broadcom further completes its broadband carrier access portfolio spanning from gigabit bridges to complete residential gateways in highly optimized solutions that address ADSL, VDSL and GPON segments. With a portfolio of market leading and high performance carrier access solutions, Broadcom demonstrates these industry-leading solutions at this week's Broadband World Forum in Paris.
Highlights/ Key Facts:
- With approximately 98 percent of the world's largest telecom providers using TR-069 management software, supporting GPON customers with TR-069 will enable carriers to cost-effectively and efficiently offer their subscribers advanced management services that support Wi-Fi, VoIP and IPTV, according to Jeff Heynen, Directing Analyst of Broadband and Video, Infonetics Research.
- The BCM6800 GPON residential gateway portfolio provides unparalleled levels of integration utilizing Broadcom's high performance, 400 MHz dual core processor architecture, hardware-assisted gigabit bridging and routing, hardware-assisted IPsec security for virtual private network (VPN) termination, gigabit switch and physical layer (PHY) devices, VoIP, support for USB 2.0 host and devices, and support for Broadcom's latest WLAN devices utilizing PCI Express®.
- Another unique capability within the BCM6800 GPON portfolio is the world's first integration of the Multimedia over Coax Alliance (MoCA®) standard (which has already received MoCA 1.1 certification from the MoCA Certification Board). This specific BCM6800 solution integrates a MoCA media access controller (MAC), as well as a PHY transceiver and RF tuner, enabling service providers (using GPON technology) to easily and cost-effectively transform a subscriber's existing coax network into a home media distribution gateway.
- Service providers that use coax for media distribution within the home can now offer whole-home digital media services that allow subscribers to securely access, store and share multiple types of digital media content including HDTV programs, video-on-demand (VoD), DVR recordings, Internet content and VoIP.
- The BCM6816 and BCM6800 family of residential gateway reference designs are now sampling to early access customers. Pricing is available upon request.
Greg Fischer, Vice President & General Manager, Broadcom's Broadband Carrier Access line of business
"Broadcom's BCM6818 GPON residential gateway solution offers carriers a total and complete system, leveraging the most globally deployed software with advanced management functionality that includes Ethernet, VoIP and WLAN support. This enables carriers to simplify deployments by utilizing existing DSL management practices while enabling a fast time-to-market, continuity and lower overall costs that take advantage of the higher bandwidth services that GPON enables."
Subscribe to RSS Feed: Broadband Communications Group
Broadcom Corporation is a major technology innovator and global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom products enable the delivery of voice, video, data and multimedia to and throughout the home, the office and the mobile environment. We provide the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and software solutions to manufacturers of computing and networking equipment, digital entertainment and broadband access products, and mobile devices. These solutions support our core mission: Connecting everything®.
Broadcom. one of the world's largest fabless communications semiconductor companies, with 2009 revenue of $4.49 billion, holds more than 4,500 U.S. and 1,900 foreign patents, and has more than 7,800 additional pending patent applications, and one of the broadest intellectual property portfolios addressing both wired and wireless transmission of voice, video, data and multimedia.
A FORTUNE 500® company, Broadcom is headquartered in Irvine, Calif., and has offices and research facilities in North America, Asia and Europe. Broadcom may be contacted at +1.949.926.5000 or at www.broadcom.com.
Cautions regarding Forward Looking Statements:
All statements included or incorporated by reference in this release, other than statements or characterizations of historical fact, are forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are based on our current expectations, estimates and projections about our industry and business, management's beliefs, and certain assumptions made by us, all of which are subject to change. Forward-looking statements can often be identified by words such as "anticipates," "expects," "intends," "plans," "predicts," "believes," "seeks," "estimates," "may," "will," "should," "would," "could," "potential," "continue," "ongoing," similar expressions, and variations or negatives of these words. These forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future results and are subject to risks, uncertainties and assumptions that could cause our actual results to differ materially and adversely from those expressed in any forward-looking statement.
Important factors that may cause such a difference for Broadcom in connection with the BCM6818 GPON residential gateway SoC solution include, but are not limited to:
- Delays in the adoption and acceptance of industry standards in the markets for GPON gateway processor products;
- Our ability to specify, develop or acquire, complete, introduce, market and transition to volume production new products and technologies in a cost- effective and timely manner; and
- Competitive pressures and other factors such as the qualification, availability and pricing of competing products and technologies and the resulting effects on sales and pricing of our products.
Additional factors that may cause Broadcom's actual results to differ materially from those expressed in forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to the list that can be found at http://www.broadcom.com/press/additional_risk_factors/Q42010.php.
Our Annual Report on Form 10-K, subsequent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, recent Current Reports on Form 8-K, and other Securities and Exchange Commission filings discuss the foregoing risks as well as other important risk factors that could contribute to such differences or otherwise affect our business, results of operations and financial condition. The forward-looking statements in this release speak only as of this date. We undertake no obligation to revise or update publicly any forward-looking statement, except as required by law.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything®, and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Broadband