IRVINE, Calif., Nov. 19, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- Broadcom and Nintendo have jointly developed 5GHz Wi-Fi to support low-latency video and audio transmission between the Wii U console and the Wii U GamePad controller
- Bluetooth 4.0 support with backward compatibility enables most legacy games and peripherals to be used with the new system
- Near Field Communications (NFC) and Wi-Fi introduce new capabilities for the gaming experience
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced its portfolio of wireless connectivity technologies including Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and NFC, are in the new Wii U system from Nintendo. For more news, visit Broadcom's Newsroom.
In the new Wii U system, Nintendo and Broadcom jointly developed customized 5GHz Wi-Fi technology that supports low-latency video and audio transmission between the console and GamePad controller. With the integration of Broadcom's NFC technology, the GamePad will be able to wirelessly interact with a broad selection of peripherals. Additionally, Bluetooth 4.0 support with backward compatibility enables most legacy games and legacy peripherals to be used with the new system.
By incorporating Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and NFC, the Wii U system redefines the video game experience by delivering unique capabilities. For example:
- Play and Watch TV Simultaneously: Seamlessly switch from playing a game to watching TV on the big screen while continuing uninterrupted game-play on the GamePad for specially designed games.
- New and Unexpected Video Game and Entertainment Experiences: The addition of the GamePad, which includes a 6.2-inch touch screen, as well as traditional button controls and two analog sticks, will open up new possibilities for both game developers and game players.
Watch the Wii U YouTube channel for the latest games and more interesting use cases: http://www.youtube.com/wiiu.
- Use of dual-band Wi-Fi for optimal wireless transmission:
- Use of 5GHz Wi-Fi for low-latency video and audio transmission
- Use of 2.4GHz Wi-Fi for wireless connectivity for Internet access
- Broadcom's NFC technology has the ability to further extend the benefits of connectivity with simplified pairing and seamless, instant communication between devices
- Inclusion of latest Bluetooth technology enables backwards compatibility with existing handheld controllers and supports future enhancements
- Broadcom InConcert wireless technologies uniquely enhance how devices work together by optimizing performance of various radio components and minimizing wireless interference:
- BCM43362, BCM43237 and BCM4319 Wi-Fi chips provide proven wireless connectivity expertise with high-quality latency performance to ensure an immersive and responsive user experience
- NFC:BCM20792 is the first NFC controller tailored for increased flexibility, developed in 40 nm and enabling low power performance
- Bluetooth: BCM20702 chip improves consumer electronics controller applications
All of the Broadcom products integrated into the Wii U system are shipping in production quantities. The Wii U system will be available in the Americas on November 18, 2012.
Genyo Takeda, General Manager, Integrated Research & Development Division, Nintendo Co., Ltd.
"With the wireless Wii U GamePad, Nintendo is able to deliver new experiences that transform the way people think about games, social interaction and entertainment. Broadcom's wireless technologies complement these experiences by providing innovative solutions that meet our unique requirements and deliver the wireless performance we need to make the integration seamless."
Dino Bekis, Senior Director, Wireless Connectivity Combo
"Nintendo continues to lead the gaming industry by leveraging wireless connectivity technologies to provide a user experience that is fresh, innovative and increasingly relevant outside of the traditional video gaming arena. We are thrilled to be working with Nintendo to again leverage our advanced wireless technology and push the limits of what is possible with video games and the broader consumer electronics industry."
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything®, and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Mobile & Wireless