IRVINE, Calif., March 21, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Broadcom Corporation (Nasdaq: BRCM), a global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications, today announced support for motion-sensing video game technology from 3DiJoy Technologies that transforms a set-top box (STB) into a game console. The Broadcom® BCM7231 IP STB system-on-a-chip (SoC) solution integrates an optimized Bluetooth gaming stack to power the gestural remote for use with 3DiJoy's motion-sensing video game technology. 3DiJoy is a leading turnkey solution provider of embedded motion-sensing video game products.
This innovative STB solution revolutionizes the set-top box gaming experience, bringing high-quality motion-interactive gaming into the living room without additional hardware or wires. The BCM7231 with 3DiJoy motion-sensing support will be demonstrated at two important industry events this week: China Content Broadcasting Network (CCBN) Exhibition (booth #3501 - China International Exhibition Center, Beijing) and IP&TV World Forum (meeting room #2 – Olympia National Hall, London).
- China's IP&TV market included 8 million subscribers at the end of 2010. Due to the boost from 'three network convergence,' this market is expected to grow by 50 percent, and the subscriber base is expected to reach 12 million in 2011, according to Streaming Media Network.
- Broadcom's field proven STB silicon works seamlessly with 3DiJoy's ready-to-integrate, high-quality motion video game technology to enable device manufacturers to quickly deliver solutions to solution providers for fast expansion of rich Internet content directly to the living room.
- 3DiJoy's turnkey motion-sensing capability gives solution providers the ability to offer popular video gaming and educational applications to their subscribers, delivering a more efficient and interactive experience while adding another revenue stream to their value-added service offerings.
- Working with their existing infrastructures, set-top box manufacturers can quickly and efficiently build STBs with advanced gaming support using Broadcom's complete 3DiJoy motion-sensing video game solution.
- The Broadcom BCM7231 IP STB SoC solution integrates an optimized Bluetooth gaming stack for use with 3DiJoy's motion-sensing video game technology, as well as a 3D graphics acceleration engine for OpenGL ES 2.0 applications, advanced 3D gaming graphics and user interfaces for an exciting gaming and infotainment experience.
- Broadcom's Bluetooth-enabled motion video game remote technology enables new and innovative ways of interacting with a STB.
- The technology provides more efficient play of video games and performs other functions such as content searching and the ability to use social networking and educational applications.
- Broadcom's Bluetooth technology, when supported in an STB, enables the user to take advantage of their existing ecosystem of Bluetooth devices such as mobile phones and stereo headsets.
- With a turnkey motion video game solution and no additional cost to the service provider or STB manufacturer, users can now experience innovative new applications, such as audio streaming and pushing digital content (such as photos) from a mobile phone directly to a TV for large screen viewing.
Li Hsu, CEO, 3DiJoy:
"With already deployed and proven solutions in the U.S., Latin America, Central America and China, our console-free gaming technology drastically lowers the barrier to playing interactive motion-sensing games in the living room. As a leader in integrating exciting motion-sensing video game solutions into embedded systems, we offer complete end-to end solutions for fast-to-market integration and substantial revenue streams to our partners. We look forward to working with Broadcom by integrating our solution on their field-proven set-top box technology, quickly bringing high-quality motion video gaming to the masses."
Dan Marotta, Executive Vice President & General Manager, Broadcom's Broadband Communications Group
"Service providers can now add popular gaming applications to their value-added services portfolio for an additional revenue source and exciting new entertainment offerings for their subscribers. Extending IP STB capabilities with our Bluetooth solutions, we look forward to a continued collaboration with 3DiJoy for new innovations in the living room."
Subscribe to RSS Feed: Broadband Communications Group
Broadcom Corporation is a prominent technology innovator and global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom products enable the delivery of voice, video, data and multimedia to and throughout the home, the office and the mobile environment. We provide the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions to manufacturers of computing and networking equipment, digital entertainment and broadband access products, and mobile devices. These solutions support our core mission: Connecting everything®.
Broadcom, one of the world's largest fabless communications semiconductor companies, with 2010 revenue of $6.82 billion, holds more than 4,800 U.S. and 2,000 foreign patents, and has more than 7,800 additional pending patent applications, and one of the broadest intellectual property portfolios addressing both wired and wireless transmission of voice, video, data and multimedia.
A FORTUNE 500® company, Broadcom is headquartered in Irvine, Calif., and has offices and research facilities in North America, Asia and Europe. Broadcom may be contacted at +1.949.926.5000 or at www.broadcom.com.
Cautions regarding Forward-Looking Statements:
All statements included or incorporated by reference in this release, other than statements or characterizations of historical fact, are forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are based on our current expectations, estimates and projections about our industry and business, management's beliefs, and certain assumptions made by us, all of which are subject to change. Forward-looking statements can often be identified by words such as "anticipates," "expects," "intends," "plans," "predicts," "believes," "seeks," "estimates," "may," "will," "should," "would," "could," "potential," "continue," "ongoing," similar expressions, and variations or negatives of these words. Examples of such forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, the demand for embedded motion gaming STB solutions, our position in that space and our future collaboration with 3DiJoy. These forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future results and are subject to risks, uncertainties and assumptions that could cause our actual results to differ materially and adversely from those expressed in any forward-looking statement.
Important factors that may cause such a difference for Broadcom in connection with its BCM7231 IP STB SoC include, but are not limited to:
- competitive pressures and other factors such as the qualification, availability and pricing of competing products and technologies and the resulting effects on sales and pricing of our products;
- the timing of customer-industry qualification and certification of our products and the risks of non-qualification or non-certification; and
- the rate at which our present and future customers and end-users adopt Broadcom's technologies and products in the markets for next generation PC, cable, satellite, IPTV and terrestrial set-top box applications;
Additional factors that may cause Broadcom's actual results to differ materially from those expressed in forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to the list that can be found at http://www.broadcom.com/press/additional_risk_factors/Q12011.php.
Our Annual Report on Form 10-K, subsequent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, recent Current Reports on Form 8-K, and other Securities and Exchange Commission filings discuss the foregoing risks as well as other important risk factors that could contribute to such differences or otherwise affect our business, results of operations and financial condition. The forward-looking statements in this release speak only as of this date. We undertake no obligation to revise or update publicly any forward-looking statement, except as required by law.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything®, and the Connecting everything logo, are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Broadband