TAIPEI, Taiwan, June 1 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- 30th Annual Computex 2010 -- Broadcom Corporation (Nasdaq: BRCM), a global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications, today announced that it has upgraded its BTW (Bluetooth® for Windows®) software to help drive more advanced Bluetooth functionality into a broader array of consumer connectivity applications. The new Broadcom® BTW 6.4 release enables more advanced interaction between Bluetooth devices (based on the Windows operating system), offering a more seamless user experience and easier to use peer-to-peer capabilities for ad-hoc gaming, as well as interaction with health and fitness monitoring devices. Broadcom, which is on track to ship its 250 millionth copy of BTW software by the end of the year, will be demonstrating these advanced capabilities with peer-to-peer gaming at the 30th Annual Computex tradeshow in Taiwan, from June 1st through June 5th.
- Broadcom BTW software is the most mature and widely deployed Bluetooth software for Windows devices, supporting PCs, notebooks, netbooks and smartphones.
- With more than 10 years of development behind it, Broadcom BTW software provides unmatched stability and features, and an enhanced Windows wireless personal area networking (PAN) experience in PC products from eight of the top ten OEMs in the world.
- The new BTW 6.4 software enables two key new profiles that extend the ability for Bluetooth to interact with other devices, including the:
- Health Device Profile (HDP), which connects health and fitness monitoring devices to PCs such as weight scales, blood pressure monitors and heart rate monitors.
- Message Access Profile (MAP), which simplifies the process of accessing and exchanging messages between Bluetooth-enabled devices.
- BTW 6.4 software is tightly integrated with InConcert Maestro, making it easier for devices to establish and maintain ad-hoc peer-to-peer connections, enabling applications developers to create games or chat applications that operate across multiple devices.
- Maestro integration adds intuitive ad-hoc peer-to-peer connectivity to BTW 6.4 allowing simple discovery and connection between devices.
- The BTW 6.4 software is available and bundled with the Broadcom® BCM2070 single-chip Bluetooth solution, as well as other Broadcom devices.
Phil Solis, Practice Director Wireless Connectivity, ABI Research
"Bluetooth software continues to be a key differentiator for technology suppliers, with new and innovative functionality increasingly happening at the software layer. As a key supplier of wireless technologies, Broadcom's continued enhancement of its BTW software enables better cooperation among various devices that will help drive the expansion of the growing wireless ecosystem in consumer electronics devices."
Craig Ochikubo, Vice President & General Manager, Broadcom's Wireless Personal Area Networking line of business
"As Bluetooth continues to expand into products and applications beyond wireless headsets, software innovation becomes increasingly important to enable new functionality and ensure that Bluetooth works well with other technologies like Wi-Fi®. Our BTW software is the most mature and widely deployed Windows software in the industry and our ability to add new features and simplify ease of use keeps us at the forefront of the evolving Bluetooth ecosystem."
Subscribe to RSS Feed: Broadcom Wireless Connectivity Group http://bit.ly/7Tkbb4
Broadcom Corporation is a major technology innovator and global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom products enable the delivery of voice, video, data and multimedia to and throughout the home, the office and the mobile environment. We provide the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and software solutions to manufacturers of computing and networking equipment, digital entertainment and broadband access products, and mobile devices. These solutions support our core mission: Connecting everything®.
Broadcom, one of the world's largest fabless communications semiconductor companies, with 2009 revenue of $4.49 billion, holds more than 4,050 U.S. and 1,650 foreign patents, and has more than 7,900 additional pending patent applications, and one of the broadest intellectual property portfolios addressing both wired and wireless transmission of voice, video, data and multimedia.
A FORTUNE 500® company, Broadcom is headquartered in Irvine, Calif., and has offices and research facilities in North America, Asia and Europe. Broadcom may be contacted at +1.949.926.5000 or at www.broadcom.com.
Cautions regarding Forward-Looking Statements:
All statements included or incorporated by reference in this release, other than statements or characterizations of historical fact, are forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are based on our current expectations, estimates and projections about our industry and business, management's beliefs, and certain assumptions made by us, all of which are subject to change. Forward-looking statements can often be identified by words such as "anticipates," "expects," "intends," "plans," "predicts," "believes," "seeks," "estimates," "may," "will," "should," "would," "could," "potential," "continue," "ongoing," similar expressions, and variations or negatives of these words. Examples of such forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, the demand for more advanced Bluetooth functionality into a broader array of consumer connectivity applications and our position in those segments. These forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future results and are subject to risks, uncertainties and assumptions that could cause our actual results to differ materially and adversely from those expressed in any forward-looking statement.
Important factors that may cause such a difference for Broadcom in connection with the release of Broadcom BTW 6.4 software include, but are not limited to:
- the rate at which our present and future customers and end-users adopt Broadcom's Bluetooth technologies for mobile applications;
- trends in the wireless networking markets in various geographic regions, including seasonality in sales of consumer products into which our products are incorporated;
- the gain or loss of a key customer, design win or order;
- the volume of our product sales and pricing concessions on volume sales; and
- competitive pressures and other factors such as the qualification, availability and pricing of competing products and technologies and the resulting effects on sales and pricing of our products.
Additional factors that may cause Broadcom's actual results to differ materially from those expressed in forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to the list that can be found at http://www.broadcom.com/press/additional_risk_factors/Q22010.php.
Our Annual Report on Form 10-K, subsequent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, recent Current Reports on Form 8-K, and other Securities and Exchange Commission filings discuss the foregoing risks as well as other important risk factors that could contribute to such differences or otherwise affect our business, results of operations and financial condition. The forward-looking statements in this release speak only as of this date. We undertake no obligation to revise or update publicly any forward-looking statement, except as required by law.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything®, the Connecting everything logo, InConcert® and Maestro™ are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Mobile & Wireless