SAN FRANCISCO, June 21 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- With the global economic recovery in the balance and corporate responsibility in the headlines, the BSR Report 2009, "Innovating for Sustainability," points the way forward for companies looking to navigate a complex operating environment.
Covering one of the most tumultuous years in the global economy since BSR was founded in 1992, the BSR Report 2009 presents "The State of Sustainable Business," an outline of the four steps companies can take to succeed in a fast-changing world:
- Don't wait: Take the lead in shaping a sustainable economy.
- Move beyond climate change: Take a comprehensive approach to sustainability.
- Create opportunities: Invest in sustainability as a driver for innovation.
- Explore the new frontier: Champion sustainable consumption.
"As we move through an era of immense change, companies that take a fresh look at products, services, and business models will be positioned to create successful — and sustainable — businesses," said BSR President and CEO Aron Cramer. "In our view, business leaders in the years ahead will use sustainability as a driver for innovation, champion sustainable consumption, and apply systems thinking to big global and business challenges."
The Report also features case studies on the impact of BSR's consulting projects and grant-funded initiatives in more than 50 countries, including BSR's work with:
- AgroAmerica: Improving productivity through better communication between workers, management, and union leaders
- Alcatel-Lucent: Creating a CSR Council to embed sustainability into the company's core strategy
- ANZ: Designing a responsible growth plan in the financial services industry
- Hitachi: Building a global strategy for social innovation
- Nestle Waters North America: Strengthening dialogue with communities to manage an essential natural resource
- Pfizer: Focusing, refining, and aligning the company's corporate social responsibility strategy
- Walmart: Improving supplier energy efficiency in China
- HERproject: Investing in women workers for health and business returns
- Guangdong Energy Conservation Center: Building the South China energy-conservation community
The Report also includes cases studies on BSR's Research & Innovation projects, Conference, and membership. In addition, the Report outlines the challenges BSR faces, and includes commentary on its financial performance in 2009.
To download a copy of the BSR Report 2009, "Innovating for Sustainability," visit www.bsr.org/report.
A leader in corporate responsibility since 1992, BSR works with its global network of more than 250 member companies to develop sustainable business strategies and solutions through consulting, research, and cross-sector collaboration. With offices in Asia, Europe, and North America, BSR uses its expertise in the environment, human rights, economic development, and governance and accountability to guide global companies toward creating a just and sustainable world. Visit www.bsr.org for more information.